Meteor or space junk?

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I saw the shooting star of all time last night and was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. I'm fairly certain it was a piece of space debris.

At approximately midnight, Sunday night, Monday morning I stepped outside here in Juneau, Alaska and just happened to look up in time to see what at first I thought to be a flare. An brilliant GREEN light was tracking across the sky leaving a long green and incredibly bright trail. It was traveling approximately south to north, was going slower than most shooting stars but much much faster than any aircraft. it tracked across the sky for approximately 12 to 15 seconds. Just before it disappeared behind a mountain, I saw it break up into about a dozen pieces. about 2 or 3 seconds after it passed out of sight over the mountain there was an extremely bright flash from that direction which lit up the entire sky.

If anyone out there tracks space debris, do you have any way of figuring out what this may have been? The light being green tends to mean that whatever it was had a high content of copper, which I believe means that it was man made...I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a copper meteor:)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I hope it was a space debris. One less ! :thumbup:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did it look anything like this?
shoot2.jpg

'Cause if it did, I think you need help. Like...armour-piercing surface-to-air help. :shifty:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool, looks like you saw the orbital waste disposal service at work! :lol:
From your description it seems way to slow for a perseid.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Cool, looks like you saw the orbital waste disposal service at work! :lol:
From your description it seems way to slow for a perseid.

way too slow and it started south of perseus and headed north past it.