MFD recommendation

MrFickles

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if there is any MFD that's similar to the one seen in the mission control center here to track the progress of the xlunar coast.

The bottom part of the screen is very similar to Orbiter's Map MFD, but is there an MFD that simulates the top portion of the big screen?

So far I've tried TravelmapMFD but it doesn't seem to work on Orbiter 2016, unless I'm missing some dependency.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So far I've tried TravelmapMFD but it doesn't seem to work on Orbiter 2016, unless I'm missing some dependency.

Ah, I guess it's the usual problem of compiling with a too new version of Visual Studio. I'll not be able to re-upload it until January.
If anyone wants to recompile it for me, then please do.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
There's always IMFD, but it's a bit of a 4th wall break because of its omniscience.

If you just want a visual though, it's a good map.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As everything in the control room that plotboard is driven by the RTCC. I've looked through all my sources and here is how I think it works:

There is one manual input required to initialize the display, which is the GET of pericynthion, so the closest approach of the spacecraft to the Moon. I think that time is just used to define the axes of the display. It's a topdown view of the orbital plane of the Moon, defined at the specified GET. The display is shown only during the translunar and transearth phases. The data for it is supplied by the current best estimate of the present position in the RTCC. So I don't think it would show any trajectory prediction, but just the current position. There is a line for the nominal trajectory on it, but that might just be part of the slide for the projection. These displays tend to get updated on a 12 second timer, so I think there is an actual pen that puts a dot every 12 seconds at the position calculated and converted to scale by the RTCC. Maybe the RTCC had a messed up state vector a few times, because there are some weird random dots on the right side of the display.

A long term plan of mine is to have a simulated MOCR, so maybe we can simulate this display in NASSP at some point. There isn't really much I would need to add to the RTCC MFD to make it work.

Sverige

Reaction score
I have just started with the Apollo 11 mission and will run it with MCC. My goal is to run the mission without using MCC. Indy, Is there a possibility to get an accurate instruction, step by step, how to use RTCC along with Apollo 11 all maneuvers? If I have a complete step by step instruction, I can more easily move on to Apollo 12 and up using specific flight plan. /Mikael

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are a few documents that might be helpful, but there is a lot to do still for me for providing proper documentation about the RTCC MFD.

Under Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Flightplans\Apollo 8 there is an RTCC MFD input guide for Apollo 8. It was created for the NASSP 7 release and is quite outdated by now. But there will be something like that for all missions and fully updated. The MFD has undergone constant changes, so I didn't write such a guide so far.

Under Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Programmers Notes there is a RTCC MFD manual, which has been updated in some sections at least. The sections about the rendezvous calculation, translunar midcourse correction and lunar orbit insertion are up-to-date.

jalexb88 has created an RTCC MFD input reference in the Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP folder. This is for the more advanced mission planning features in the MFD though, which are even more difficult to use than the normal mode of operations in the MFD. I don't think this is any help without explaining a lot of these displays and features. But the mission planning features allow a workflow very similar to the real one, with the same displays that the flight controllers looked at etc.

So in short, no, there currently isn't a step-by-step guide for Apollo 11, but there will be. I think I'll work on better documentation very soon.

Sverige

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I think if there was a step by step instruction many more people would use RTCC. I'm definitely one of those. However, it is not meant to stress but it is a wish I would appreciate:)