Microsoft has released an early preview copy of its new operating system, Windows 7.

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My god!!!! What the hell are they thinking!!!! Vista is bad enough, and now they released another version of Vista?! If I wanted Windows Vista or Windows 7, I would rather wait until someone made a free Windows XP to Windows Vista or Windows 7 transformation pack (and thats exactly what I did, and now my Windows XP look's like Windows Vista). Although on the other hand, Windows 7 look's much, much better than Windows Vista and Windows XP because it's faster, and it doesn't cause much problems like Windows XP and Vista......

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My god!!!! What the hell are they thinking!!!! Vista is bad enough, and now they released another version of Vista?!
It's not another version of Vista, it's a new OS. Moreover, it's not released yet.

If I wanted Windows Vista or Windows 7, I would rather wait until someone made a free Windows XP to Windows Vista or Windows 7 transformation pack (and thats exactly what I did, and now my Windows XP look's like Windows Vista).
I doubt that. Also, WindowsXP-that-looks-like-Vista is NOT Vista, so what's the point?

Although, Windows 7 look's much, much better than Windows Vista and Windows XP because it's faster, and it doesn't cause much problems like Windows XP and Vista......
Wait, weren't you just complaining about it? Also, XP causing problems? XP is widely considered to be the best and most stable Windows platform to date.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Wait, weren't you just complaining about it? Also, XP causing problems? XP is widely considered to be the best and most stable Windows platform to date.

Note that he said to date, Talon, he's not commenting on the stability of "Win7" (as I'm calling it) because it's not released yet.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is probably fine for games and word processing and such if you have a decent machine, but it is *horribly* slow for number crunching applications where you need to crunch through flops as fast as possible. We upgraded to quad cores at work with Vista and attempted to run CFD simulations on them - we rolled back to XP after we started blowing project deadlines.

Really? We switched over to Vista here about 6 months ago, no problems at all. Our numerical simulations are definitely not slower, and the ones that run in (shudder) IDL are actually a little faster. The latter probably says more about the slowness of IDL than anything else, though.

(edit) For the record, I like Vista. Once you disable all the stupid nagging features and fiddle with the graphics a bit it looks fine, runs fine and does everything I want it to do.
The one and only thing that I don't like about Vista is that it refuses to play 2 audio streams at once, so I can't have iTunes and a video running at the same time. That's not exactly a showstopper though, and considering how much nicer it is than XP I can live with it.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, you can't expect someone who invented "managed code" to be able to think straight.

Hm. While you're certainly right for the term "managed code" itself, I'd like to note that M$ didn't invent the concept behind managed code. This was first done by Sun with Java IIRC. At least for the popular mechanism, there were many experiments with managed code before Java, e.g. UCSD Pascal.

And I don't think all those guys weren't able to think straight.

Not that this says anything about M$'s mind state, though. ;)

regards,
Face

BTW: Can a company have a mind state, after all???

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Really? We switched over to Vista here about 6 months ago, no problems at all.
I agree. Our office has been migrating over to Vista for a while now (we have about 50/50 Vista/XP split ATM). There were a few teething problems with some of our engineering software but on the whole they were easier to resolve than with the Win 98->XP transition (we skipped 2000).

The biggest unresolved problem we have is with "offline files" synchronisation not working reliably with our Samba server but it is not really a big deal, since we never used this with XP.

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's not another version of Vista, it's a new OS. Moreover, it's not released yet.

I doubt that. Also, WindowsXP-that-looks-like-Vista is NOT Vista, so what's the point?

Uhh, ok, the only thing I like about windows vista is it's look.

Last edited:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...

By starting this thread, I seem to have caused one big international windows-related fight

:rofl: