Project Mir station complex / UR-500 family

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I'm using a blender recreate the orbital station MIR. decided to cover the modules with cotton wool as it was in reality but unfortunately it is expensive. в on average one module has 80.000 polys. if you connect the modules together, a loss of computer performance may occur
will my model be playable?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm using a blender recreate the orbital station MIR. decided to cover the modules with cotton wool as it was in reality but unfortunately it is expensive. в on average one module has 80.000 polys. if you connect the modules together, a loss of computer performance may occur
will my model be playable?

Kristall module

It will likely depend on the graphics client you use and the hardware of the player.

But generally speaking, there is a better solution. Since a high-poly mesh already works better on a D3D9 client, why not use its capability for normal mapping and replace the many triangles for producing the texture of the MLI (what you call cotton wool, its actually multi-layer insulation) with a normal map to produce the shading during rendering time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

That is pretty much the primary use case for normal maps, what you are doing.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Looks very detailed :) but it's still too early to spot any problems.

Now you need to separate the mesh into different groups for each material/texture, and that might change geometry a bit.
UV mapping is also needed for texturing and it's not trivial for some of those geometries - I suggest starting with the solar panels.

Finally, you might do a version with panels retracted for launch.

So it's looking good, but still much work ahead!

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
thank. I am in the mockup stage. details and textures and I will do it as soon as all the layouts are ready now I mark up the main elements of the module just in case upload them to Google Drive

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That looks very nice. I can't remember the last time we had a new Mir addon(apologies if I'm forgetting someone...).

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the module's solar arrays "Spektr" (length width volume angle at which the top solar panels are installed segment size) I would not like to do them by eye

area of main solar panels 2*27 m2
additional panels 2*38 m2

angle additional panels 107°

enough information thank

Last edited: