Mission Geometry-Venus Direct

penlu

Reaction score
I believe that everyone in this forum knows about Mars Direct, its general format, etc. I've been thinking about something sustainable for Venus. It could be a great location to have orbital power stations or something. We'll find uses for Venus. It's hard and my idea is a bit more messy than Mars Direct.

Two launches as well, with aerobraking. It is definitely vital for the aerobrake to go really well, so Mars Direct is at an advantage here. The first launch throws an Earth return vehicle into orbit about Venus, and the second chucks the crew over. The crew reenter and inflate a semi-rigid (I guess flat plates with flexible dividers) dirigible to keep them from sinking to the surface. A couple of gliders with return capsules are sent with crew to the surface for some long stays, using carbon monoxide/oxygen propellant. After exploration is done, a return capsule is shot up to orbit and docks with the Earth return vehicle. The crew get boosted home. Upon Earth arrival, the Venusian ascent capsule detaches from the ERV and performs a high-speed reentry.

This is definitely not as good as Mars Direct. Anybody have any other ideas?