Question Modelling my launch vehicle in Orbiter

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
So I got an idea of building the amateur launch vehicle and I wanna modelling this one in Orbiter to prove my hand calculations (I guess Orbiter is pretty good in that). But I cant do it myself. So can anybody help me?
It's pretty simple - two stages and a little tiny sattelate (M = 10 kg) at the top of it.

Here some drawings with all information:

So I learned how to change parameters of engines, masses etc, but codding for me is something like a nightmare yet.
I can make the model in 3ds format, but will it be useful to export it to an orbiter mesh?

So, I need your help and will appreciate that!:cheers:

PS and some more results of my calculations - project orbit:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can convert the 3DS data to msh by Blender. This could also permit you optimizing the data a bit, since CAD data is usually a tiny bit polygon heavy.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just for Orbiter, or do you want to build a real one that actually flies into orbit?
By now - just for orbiter, to see flying condisions and compare them to my calculations.
But this is my real project. Two things I know - it's crazy and hard to fulfil in real life :lol: - by the way - it's so interesting!

Last edited:

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So i've done modelling the first stage and converted it to orbiter mesh.
It has one mail engine (gimbaling), 4 retro engines and 4 roll thrusters. Also the stage is recoverable as well.
here's a shot from zmodeler:

The model aint perfect but seems to be enough for my purpose.

Also I have 8 textures in bmp format.

Next is puttin the model to game - how?

Mayby somewhere is some kinda detailed step-by-step tutorial? cause a have a lot of questions :facepalm:

any help is appreciated :hailprobe:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But this is my real project. Two things I know - it's crazy and hard to fulfil in real life :lol: - by the way - it's so interesting!

There's a little more to it than just getting the money, knowledge and actually building it. The authorities, the military and your neighbors won't take kindly to you launching a rocket from your back yard. People have been accused of terrorism and other criminal behavior for far less...

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
There's a little more to it than just getting the money, knowledge and actually building it. The authorities, the military and your neighbors won't take kindly to you launching a rocket from your back yard. People have been accused of terrorism and other criminal behavior for far less...

Yes. Sure I won't launch it without any permission. btw i can even never get it. But now putting the model to Orbiter is needed and I'll be very glad if you help me out :thumbup:

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

I doubt he seriously plans on obtaining the proper materials, money, staff, and launch site anytime soon.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I doubt he seriously plans on obtaining the proper materials, money, staff, and launch site anytime soon.

Suerly I dont.
It's just a "paper project" yet

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. Sure I won't launch it without any permission. btw i can even never get it. But now putting the model to Orbiter is needed and I'll be very glad if you help me out :thumbup:

You should start small. Going orbital is quite a feat... just today I listened to a radio report of someone making a home made explosive and blowing his entire arm off, with severe injuries to his face as well. Not sure what US law says on the subject, but in Slovenia, even building weapons or explosives is prohibited without permission.

From the tone of your posts I assume you haven't had any experience with model rockets. I'd recommend you start with those...

As for Orbiter... you'll need to convert your mesh into .msh format one way or another. If you haven't built your mesh yet, there are free tools such as Blender and Anim8orm which both have export scripts for msh format (search around the forum), though I suggest you avoid Anim8or.

Textures in .dds format. There are plugins available for the particular software you might want to use, that export into dds, or you could find an external application that does that.

If you know how to program, the next step is to write your own vessel module. If you don't, the alternative is Spacecraft3 or Multi-Stage, but don't expect lots of features and accurate results from those.

You can find everything you need to know about programming your own vessel in API_Guide.pdf and API_Reference.pdf in Orbiter\Orbitersdk\doc folder and more info on the mesh itself in 3DModel.pdf in the same folder.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
More launch vehicles would be nice. I like your detailed plans for this thing.

oh thanks! I'll prepare some kind of presentation for y'all.

By now I've finished 2nd stage and nose cone's halfs in 3d:

Last edited: