Idea Modern Sci-Fi Autopilot

johndeere5

Reaction score
I have 2 thing I would like to say: 1) If there's an autopilot available that I'm requesting, then I need help on finding it, 2) If it's not available, then it will be a request and the information is below, thanks.

I'm a sci-fi fan, especially "Lost In Space" movie. My request is that can anyone create a sci-fi style 3D-like LCD autopilot where you can choose where you want to go, from take-off on any planets to wherever you choose to go along with a choice of gravity assisted interstellar travel or warp/hyper drive for a direct flight (if the vehicle has FLT drive, of course), I would like the autopilot to have a huge choice of option on what you wish to accomplish, for example, if you want to go to 500,000 feet, then input the numbers, or choose another galaxy if that add-on is installed, or whatever, when you first start up this type of MFD, you choose which measurement reading you want, be it miles or Km, feet or meter and any other setting to your comfort readings and whatever, suffice to say, this is a modern era, these type of autopilot can be made, I would be very happy to see it made, and if I may say so, this is a request to any and all sci-fi fans out there that may have the same ideas, as would Captain Jean-Luc Picard would say, "Engage".

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, and I'd also like a robotic hand to autmagically control my joystick. I would like to have only to say 'takeoff', and it'd put my ship on a perfect circular LEO.

It should also be a good chat buddy, as I don't want to be alone all the time, right?

Oh, if it could also have a body, it'd be great! Actually, it should have a perfect body, you know, just staring at space can be a bit boring at times. Yes! Great idea. Just put some 'extras' (you know what I'm talking about) and I'll be the first to use.

Could someone turn this brilliant idea into my future wife?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you guys don't like his add-on idea, a simple "not interested" will do. If he likes to just watch the scenery go by, that's his business. If you have no interest in helping him, that's yours. No need for all these acid responses.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbiter can appeal to so many people, in so many ways. And you don't have to pay for it.:hotcool:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think an autopilot of those capabilities would be nice to have, not for my use but to implement on other vehicles in order to make them working NPCs. The problem however is that the vehicles in Orbiter vastly differ in handling and power characteristics and a single autopilot would have serious problems in computing a solution for all of them.
Taking off and landing with the DGIV-2 is very different from taking off with the XR2 Ravenstar or the DG-EX, and the Shuttle-A is a whole different cat altogether. They have different flight profiles and different capabilities (how does the autopilot know when to engage the SCRAM engines or rotate the auxiliary thruster pods?) and what about engines that require the user's attention, like the Exploreur-class and the new DK-3A Coathanger...

docabn

Reaction score
Perhaps explaining why exactly you would like an add-on like this might help to generate some interest. For example, the add-on that Artlav is working on is a perfect tutor for a person likes me who loves to fly the various models but hates to do the math. I can set the parameters watch the flight and then work to reproduce the same effects, rather than relying on canned scenarios and a lot of trial and error I will use his add-on to help me become a better pilot.
If you just want a program that will give you a grand tour of the Orbiter universe his might work (keep in mind that it is still in the alpha stage but progressing rapidly) but it will be largely in real time.
If you combine it with some of the other sci-fi add-ons you might be able to get something more like what I think you were describing.

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
warp/hyper drive for a direct flight ...... type of MFD, you choose which measurement reading you want, be it miles or Km, feet or meter and any other setting to your comfort readings and whatever, suffice to say, this is a modern era, these type of autopilot ]
Maybe you are looking for this:

Relativistic Warp MFD

RWarp.jpg

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4547"]Relativistic Warp MFD[/ame]

Last edited:

Mogeley

Reaction score
Are you looking for a sci-fi autopilot for sci-fi spacecraft or for an autopilot for more modern spacecraft?

I have been writing an autopilot for modern spacecraft, which the goal is to set your target and let the computer fly the ship. It uses whatever technology is on the ship and is limited to that ships capabilities. For example space planes, fly like planes, and once in orbit use regular orbital maneuvers to reach their destination. It will be a long time for this to be complete as many ships fly very differently, and building an adaptive autopilot is very difficult yet possible.

Many people have discounted what you have suggested. I have been interested in building a sci-fi autopilot as well. Simply put this is flight control module that interfaces between the pilots commands and the ships response. Yet it's build for ships with sci-fi capabilities. Capabilities such as hover takeoff anywhere, very powerful engines, possibly no need to orbit anything. This would be a very interesting autopilot to build because one would still have to work within the physical laws yet make it user friendly. If space ships are for everyone in the future the Flight control system (autopilot) cannot fail and be easy to use.

And to be honest the DeltaGlider is just as sci-fi as the Enterprise on Star Trek. We are no where close to the capabilities of the Delta glider series or XR series yet in tech. Those are still aerospace pipe dreams...

If I ever get my autopilot released, hopefully you'll see it. It will be a while.

Last edited:

craigh

Reaction score
I dunno,

There are definately times where I'd like to see an autopilot like this. I may be doing something else in Orbiter and having some ship arrive with cargo or whatnot would be nice, especially if all I have to do is tell it where and when to be there.

Maybe I'm mucking about in an Eagle or Moonbus, etc.
Maybe I'm station building and don't feel like dealing with the details of each and every flight up or out. It would be cool to have a string of ships on the collective way with parts for me to play with...

Like the idea, just wish I knew how to code.

CraigH

johndeere5

Reaction score
Not that I want to make things not fun, it just as one said, tell the unman probe/cargo craft to reach the desired destination while one fly a manned craft to destination, either before or after the manned craft arrived would be very helpful, very helpful if your going to mars with say 12 unmanned probe/cargo craft, you can set them to be on their way say 1-2 day in between so you can arrive or meet the unmanned craft to start doing whatever that your doing at whatever destination of choice, this would be greatly helpful.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

johndeere5

Reaction score
Just one question: for why? Pressing buttons an saying "Engage" is fun?

It doesn't have to have the word "Engage", it just a motto, as Cpt. Picard always say. You can use something like exe or AB (execute or Auto-Burn) would be fine.

Last edited: