Hardware Mouse Problems with new orbiter install

mcperreault

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just installed Orbiter on a new machine by copying the complete orbiter directory from my old laptop. The old laptop is a Windows 7 machine where orbiter worked very well. The new machine (specs below) is a Windows 8 touch screen and there is a problem with the mouse only in the Orbiter simulation. Whenever I right click to drag a view, the behavior is not as expected. In an external view of the spacecraft, the view rotates rapidly, randomly and uncontrollably as long as the right button is pressed. In the interior view (for example, in the Arrow Freighter), the view goes up to the overhead and stays there. I can drag the view to other locations, but as soon as I stop moving the mouse, the view goes right back to the ceiling if the right mouse button is pressed. The machine gives this behavior with a variety of mice - both wired and wireless. Anybody have any ideas?

Mark

COMPUTER SPECS
OS Name Microsoft Windows 8
Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron One 2330
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330S CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 11/2/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 0.09
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.2.9200.16442"
User Name
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.88 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.94 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.37 GB
Page File Space 4.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

mcperreault

Reaction score
:facepalm:
Terribly sorry! I had a flashback to when I worked for an organization that had a correspondence policy that subject lines were in all caps. I won't do it again!!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
computer_key_Caps_Lock.png

off.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, we all had something to laugh now.

Can now somebody with Windows 8 experience help him please, instead of focussing on the badly choosen thread subject? :dry:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
:facepalm:
Terribly sorry! I had a flashback to when I worked for an organization that had a correspondence policy that subject lines were in all caps. I won't do it again!!

No worries.

Fixed it for you :thumbup: Have you gone into the launchpad and checked the settings in there?

Is there a calibration option for your mouse? or additional software that your mouse uses? These new machines tend to come with a lot of additional bloatware that causes these funky issues.

I'll have to admit that I'm not at all familiar with Windows 8 and it's touch sensitive configuration.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you tried a clean install of Orbiter to rule out misbehaving addons? I haven't had any problems like this on a Win8 touch screen device.

mcperreault

Reaction score
No worries.

Fixed it for you :thumbup: Have you gone into the launchpad and checked the settings in there?

Is there a calibration option for your mouse? or additional software that your mouse uses? These new machines tend to come with a lot of additional bloatware that causes these funky issues.

I'll have to admit that I'm not at all familiar with Windows 8 and it's touch sensitive configuration.

None of the launchpad settings seem applicable. I have tried a basic wired two button mouse with no special calibration, features or software and still have the problem. Now I am looking at the bloatware - of which there is plenty!!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Have you tried a clean install of Orbiter to rule out misbehaving addons? I haven't had any problems like this on a Win8 touch screen device.

After your post I did try a clean install with no addons - with no success. You are the third person to tell me they have run Orbiter on a Win 8 touchscreen machine without problems so at this point I think it is "my" set-up rather than Win 8 with touchscreen in general. The search continues.

---------- Post added 10-19-13 at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-18-13 at 05:11 PM ----------

No worries.

garyw - your idea to check the bloatware was spot on! It wasn't exactly bloatware, it was a program I had deliberately installed called Fences. It is a program I use that automatically organizes a large number of icons on a large screen. There are a number of issues with it in Win 8. I did some research and apparently it is even worse in Win 8.1 - it locks up icons and makes it impossible to drag/move the icons on the screen. Short story gone long is that uninstalling Fences did the trick and my Orbiter set-up is running well on the new machine. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Mark