Moving the Moon

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I am/was bored, so I increased the earth's mass with an extra 0. I watched the ISS get sucked helplessly out of orbit, then waited. Somehow, the moon was still orbiting in exactly the same place, despite orbitMFD saying it should be crashing into the earth. this had made me very annoyed, so I'm out to lower the moon manually. I've backed up my moon.cfg, just as I backed up my earth.cfg before editing that. So , umm, which bit of moon.cfg do I meed to change to cause the moon to drop into the earth?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Well, tough luck. The Moon's orbit is determined by its .dll. So you can't change it. What you can do, however, is to add the parameters of the orbit you want into the .cfg file. Look at examples of other solar system add-ons, as most of them don't use .dlls.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I guess that explains why it stayed in its original orbit, and wasn't effected by gravity...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Correct. All the planets are govenered by the magical powers of the DLL. You could remove the moon from the sol.cfg file and replace it with a vessel.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Correct. All the planets are govenered by the magical powers of the DLL. You could remove the moon from the sol.cfg file and replace it with a vessel.

Obi-Wan Kenobi said:
That's no moon...
:lol:
Hmm, a moon size vessel, now that would be effected by gravity, but would it generate its own?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It would not generate it's own gravity.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Dam, that mean It wouldn't cause strange happenings on the earth and in orbit as it dropped. I WANT MASS DESTRUCTION!!!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

All you need to do is have a planet/moon with the parameters defined by the .cfg, rather than a .dll... my entire Mu Arae system is made up of objects that are defined only by config files, for example.

I might be able to understand why the ISS was 'sucked out of orbit' (to orbit at the same altitude, it would have to have a higher speed, thus at the lower speed, it is suborbital), but I don't see why Orbit MFD would say that the Moon is on a funny eccentric orbit, as parameters in both the .cfg and (presumably) the .dll deal with semimajor axis and eccentricity, which should not change... maybe it's something to do with how Orbit MFD interacts with the .dll data.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
So , umm, which bit of moon.cfg do I meed to change to cause the moon to drop into the earth?
Remove or comment out "Module = Moon" line.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I would guess the moon .DLL doesn't actually orbit, but rather moves the moon around the earth at a set speed and altitude, and is calibrated for a normal earth. so with my slightly bigger earth the orbitMFD is saying that it isn't moving fast enough, so should fall, but the .DLL keeps it in position.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Remove or comment out "Module = Moon" line.

Oh yes... That means it'll point to the config but even then you won't get anything more exciting than the moon acting like a giant neutrino and passing through the Earth without any problems.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
right, now all I need is some orbital elements, which I shall obtain by placing a vessel into the orbit I want the moon to follow

--Addendum--
I've done it!!! the moon is now going to crash into the earth, causing great gravitational problems (hello Oort cloud) for anything on the earth or in LEO. TTL:16.74kSec

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I have a craft in orbit somewhere around the original height of the moon (I think), so I can sit here in safety and watch the carnage unfold

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

That was fun :). I 'accidently' left an XR5 near the moons impact point, and watched it get suddenly dragged across the earths surface when I tried to take off!!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
:lol:
Hmm, a moon size vessel, now that would be effected by gravity, but would it generate its own?
No, but you can try attaching this to it:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3190"]Gravity Tool[/ame]

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
hmm... you could make a black hole with that, if the sol system didn't all use .dlls.
*runs off to get another solar system*

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
As an alternitave .....

Build a lunar base.
Put a nuclear waste disposal site on it.
Transfer enough waste so that the many storage piles in close proximity reach crital mass and ignite.

............. wait, it's been done already.:lol:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
This is an epic win in my book. How about you decrease the mass of earth. Then try to loowe the orbit to 4x the alt of the IIS.