Updates MRM1 "Rassvet" updates

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
According to Novosti Kosmonavtiki forum, the module is loaded into container in preparation for departing to United States. The delivery is planned approximately on December 16th.

A dude I know with the "Rassvet" in the background (pic reposted at nasaspaceflight.com):
index.php

The MRM1's diagram:

Russian%20MRM1%20A.JPG

The related articles:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2009/01/pictures-russias-mini-research.html
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/04/sts-132-prcb-baselines-mission-to-deliver-russias-mrm-1/

The recent pictures taken in RKK Energia workshops

Installing the ERA arm section in August:
16d5938c1827.jpg

Vibration chamber testing in late August:
photo_08-18-04.jpg

photo_08-18-06.jpg

MLM heat radiator unfolded (September):
photo_09-03-02.jpg

Installing of the MLM radiator and airlock on the MRM1 (October):
94f80f4272ba.jpg

569093740ced.jpg

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i have no idea why but i always get hit with a small pang of confuzion and amusement when i see lab coats near heavy machinery

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
On December 14's night, MRM1 "Rassvet" was transported from RKK Energia factory to Ramenskoye airfield near Moscow.

Watch the video report on the transportation operation and interview of the Chief Designer of RKK Energia Vitaliy Lopota:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wT9nL-PqY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Первый российский модуль МКС[/ame]

On December 17, the MRM1 has arrived in Orlando International Airport aboard an An-124 (http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0912/17mrmarrival/)

The Mini-Research Module 1 arrived at the Shuttle Landing Facility at about 1 p.m. EST aboard an Antonov 124 cargo plane, completing a nearly 6,000-mile journey from Moscow.

The egg-shaped module will be unloaded from the Antonov later Thursday afternoon and transported to an Astrotech processing bay in Cape Canaveral to undergo preps for launch, a NASA spokesperson said.

It will be moved to the Space Station Processing Facility in the spring to be boxed inside a payload canister before going to the launch pad.

Rassvet will launch aboard the shuttle Atlantis' STS-132 mission scheduled for liftoff May 14.

Launching with Rassvet will be more than 3,000 pounds of NASA cargo. An airlock and radiator will be mounted on Rassvet for use by the Multi-Purpose Laboratory Module, a Russian research lab slated to fly to the station in 2012. NASA is obligated to launch Rassvet and the outfitting equipment in an international agreement with Russia.

Five work platforms for spacewalkers will be loaded inside Rassvet for launch. The module will also deliver a spare elbow joint for the European robotic arm.

The addition of Rassvet will provide more clearance between the Zarya docking port and a berthing location on the U.S. segment. It adds flexibility for mission planners juggling a busy manifest of space station missions, ensuring the availability of both ports.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
KSC actually. More specifically, the SLF.

I also thought I could recognize the marsh landscape, but there was a report before that the flight's destination was Orlando International. Do you think the report was wrong, or did they fly it again to KCS from Orlando on the '124?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I also thought I could recognize the marsh landscape, but there was a report before that the flight's destination was Orlando International. Do you think the report was wrong, or did they fly it again to KCS from Orlando on the '124?
Most likely the report was wrong. Pretty all the ISS elements launched by the shuttle has arrived by air and landed at KSC SLF for further transport by trailer to the SSPF.

Here's a photo that shows the An-124 in front of the SLF Mate/De-mate Device(MDD): http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/images/large/2009-6853.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

The runways in Orlando have no runway length markers.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Today Cosmonaut Oleg Kotov found free drifting metal chips inside the new MRM-1 Rassvet module. Moscow Mission Control center ordered him to stop all operations in the module and close the hatch.

After careful analysis, engineers have devised a method the remove the metal chips...

horshoemagnet1.jpg

:rofl:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
From ISS Daily Report for 21/05/2010:

Skvortsov & Kornienko continued preparing the new MRM-1 for unloading. [Yesterday, upon ingress in MRM-1, the crew reported floating metal shavings. They closed the hatch and ran the circulation fans overnight in order for the filters to capture the shavings. Upon ingress today, wearing PPE (Personal Protection Equipment), Misha & Sasha reported that the amount of metal shavings had significantly decreased. Tonight, the crew will remove MRM-1 panels 201 & 202, close the hatch and activate the dust fans again to help capture the remaining shavings. This is not an uncommon experience with new modules, exposed to zero-G for the first time.]

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website

Apparently, this is what is being done. :thumbup: Also, I've been said that acoustic loads during launch is a commonplace cause of ripping off metal chips and shavings inside rocket parts and spacecraft, and this is taken into account by designers. I'm not sure why it's difficult to finish surfaces so that nothing would protrude and risk ripping that off, however.

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

NASA Astronaut Tony Antonelli inside the newly attached MRM-1 module