Multiplayer Orbiter

penlu

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted yet to produce an Orbiter in which players can interact with each other? It would be really great for some things. There are a few problems, though:
  • Suppose a couple of people want to fly a huge manned mission to Jupiter. What about time acceleration? How to solve this problem?
  • How many spacecraft can reasonably fit within a solar system? It would be... strange... to see a spacecraft inch up behind you and pass you on a slightly different trajectory to the moon. Not to mention little gray-white dots everywhere when you're flying around the ISS looking for a free dock.
  • And since the ISS only has 6 docks, what happens to everyone else?
A couple of things I would want for Orbiter (may not be necessarily related to multiplayer):

Collisions. Has anyone made a .dll thingy for this?

Space traffic control.

Maybe a little guy that hops into your spacecraft and can get out and walk/bounce to the next craft you want to fly. See ROBLOX.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
It has been tried a few times from what I've seen, in various ways. The biggest issue will always be time accel - in the vast distances we play with, we HAVE to use time accel. Heck, even just meeting the ISS I lean heavily on the time accel. And that will screw with the positioning of everything and everyone else. It's not really something that could work.

Collision detection would be nice though, that's one thing I REALLY wish was present.

UMMU has the little guy that can leave, "walk" around (or fly in space) and then get into another ship. You can even look out of his helmet while doing it.

davewave

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi.
Im surprised that a member with 156 posts would be asking if orbiter has multiplayer. I suggest that you use the search features because you will find many productions including my own which are geared towards multiplayer in some regard.
Goodluck

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
The ORRL is the only real active project using the OMP atm. It is currently in closed beta. Check out the ORRL-dev thread for more details and watch this space. Although all this stuff is atmospheric and Suborbital only atm.