My Newest Project: LimboQuest

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
This a new system I am developing for creating table-top roll-playing games. The name comes from the combat system: you must roll under a particular stat to get a positive result--hence, Limbo :)

My first LimboQuest project is to convert the old computer game "Temple of Apshai" into a table-top RPG. It's pretty much complete--my brother and I gave it a run over the phone the other night, and he seemed to enjoy it.

I'm a bit wonky as a DM because I don't improvise well. But I do write well, so the in-script stuff turned out really good. I'll post some material from it here a bit later, if anyone wants to see it :)

Any other fantasy RPG players here?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wasn't that kind of "roll below a threshold" also in other RPG games? I remember having seen it in the tabletop game Babylon 5 Wars, where you must roll a D20 below a target value to determine if you hit your target.

And no, I am not as much fantasy RPG player as science fiction RPG player... Engel or Mechwarrior (3rd Edition) RPG here.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I may be missing something here, but how does rolling something like a D20 high or low change anything? Wouldn't the odds be based purely on the number of integers in the target range? for example rolling 1-5 has the same odds as rolling 15-20, as well as the same odds as rolling an even number between 6-14.

In my mind I'm comparing this to the odds for a pair of D6, for example.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Steve Jackson's OGRE and GEV player myself. All you need is a D6 to resolve combat.
I used to love RPG games though, but I usually wound up running them instead of playing them.