My orbiter crashes even if I made sure all mods are compatible with it

General_Mile_1

Mile
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Mile
Hello there, I have a question: If I have all compatibile mods with orbiter, can it crash just by itself? Here is my orbiter log file after crash

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    13.5 KB · Views: 19

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yes, just because a mod is listed as compatible with Orbiter 2016 does not guarantee that it can never crash due to bugs in it. You could try a standard troubleshooting approach:
  1. Install a clean copy of Orbiter 2016 and test with the default DeltaGlider.
  2. Install one add-on and retest. Be sure to repeat the test a few times for each if the crashes were intermittent in your original installation.
  3. Repeat the above step until the crash occurs again.
That should narrow down the problem add-on(s). Then you can either run without the problem add-on(s) or contact the author with steps to reproduce the crashes to see if it's something they can fix.

llarian

Reaction score
And don't forget to provide a copy of your Orbiter.log so we can see what is happening.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah... you're going to need a clean install of Orbiter. There is way too much stuff going on right there to unpack.

Take a gander at something called the Jonesoft Mod Enabler tool. It's a very small program that goes in your Orbiter directory. When you first run it, it creates a folder (defaults to Mods) that you can stick all your addons into (unzipped, maintaining the directory structure).
From here (running the mod enabler) you select which mods/addons you want. It will migrate it over for you. Run Orbiter like normal, and the addon should be there for you.

When you are done, you can remove it (with a simple mouse click). If you find something that "breaks" your Orbiter installation, just remove it and delete the offending addon.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The Orbiter.log shows remnants of UCGO:
D3D9: ERROR: Base Object 0x34481B8 = 'Equator Base' not cataloged
D3D9: ERROR: Base Object 0x342BC00 = 'Southern Base' not cataloged
D3D9: ERROR: Base Object 0x341BAA0 = 'UCGO Base Europa' not cataloged

That could be a clue to the CTDs.
I agree with Phantom Cruiser that a clean re-install of Orbiter will be easier than hunting down any possible cause for that.
Also the use of the Jones Soft Mod-Enabler is very much recommended for the future.