My Orbiter Simpit Project

rhoude57

Reaction score
Hi Orbiteers,
I was triggered a couple of weeks ago by the Youtube video of a father that built a space ship simulator in his kids' bedrooms. At the time, I told myself "Boy, would my grandkids get a kick out of flying something like this!!!"
I am an aerospace professional that grew-up with the space race as my everyday motivation to always learn more at school and make aircraft my world, my life.
Looking at his realization, however, I could not but think that his contraption was a little "Sooo 60s". A Simpit in 2014 has to leap towards the 21st Century, rather than be a melancholic reminder of an era past.
So I took inventory of the potential bits and pieces that could form parts of this Simpit: The Next Generation. I have a bunch of PCs and laptops all networked together, one of them running MSFS with a CH Flight Yoke and rudder pedals and a bunch of add-ons which I used to teach avionics not so long ago; I have a number of Android devices, including a Google Nexus smartphone that I use to explore Android app programming and an ASUS TF101 Tablet which I already felt should become the primary display and control device in the Simpit. Finally, I have an Epson LCD projector and a 6foot HD projection screen which, right off the bat, was chosen to become my out-of-the-window display. I also have an old, but functional Nintendo PowerGlove which I feel could have an small part to play somewhere in there.
So, with those things given, I set-out to find a Space Simulation kernel to power my Simpit, and WHAM! I discover Orbiter!!!
I have since mucked around with Orbiter and the Sound and VNCMFD add-ons and have to work hard to keep the neurons in check!!!
I have started putting in bids on used TF101 Tablets which I intend to use generously. For the Simpit seat, I am heavily leaning towards a Playseat Air Force flight seat. I'm also looking at the Saitek Pro Flight 52X.
I plan to build the Simpit cab so that it can be transported.
Well, that's it for now. Thanks for all being there and I look forward to discussing our Simpit projects in the future.
Ronald (Ron) Houde
Montreal, QC, Canada

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello fellow Canadian (I live on the other side of the Highway 40, in our capital :p) !
Et, à moins que je me trompe, tu dois parler français. Surtout avec un nom comme Houde :p

Your project is very interesting. I'm not a electrical guy, I'm more on the programming side of the force :cool:. However, I had fun with my NES a few years ago, and I read a lot about it. My main source was NESDev, where the documentation is abundant. Reading that you have a Power Glove, I searched for infos about the pinout, but there is no page on NESDev. However, you can read about the standard controller for a basic knowledge of the I/O system of the NES. In brief, you can only read one byte at a time. It uses a shift register to provide all the datas one at a time. You can have a look here :
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Input_devices

rhoude57

Reaction score
Salut Bibi Uncle,
When I got the Power Glove, I was able to dig up some source code that showed how to read the glove signals. I hope to upgrade the code to some Java or C++.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I see people like VNCMFD. That makes me happy.

NB you may also like these add-ons:

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6443"]Master/slave (rev. 33)[/ame]
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6453"]Permanent ExtMFD[/ame]
Keyboard remapper
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6435"]Orb::Connect::Web 3.19[/ame]

Also this is pretty much the reference schematics for new Orbiter simpits:

shemacockpit02_zps1b9ddb37.jpg

From this thread.

Last edited:

rhoude57

Reaction score
The parts for the Simpit are starting to come in. I found a couple of used TF101 Tablets and a Saitek 52X Flight Control System joystick and throttle set. Two Arduino Uno R3 boards, a WiFi Shield and Starter Kit ought to get me started on the wireless panels are also on the way. I am very tempted to splurge on a Playseat Flight Seat that I would fit with an Aura Bass Shaker. I'm shopping around for a speaker set or sound bar. Lotsa fun pulling the Simpit together.

rhoude57

Reaction score
The Simpit build is progressing. As you can see in the picture, I'm using two laptops, one set-up as a Master, the other as a Slave repeater I intend to use as a spectator repeater. I received my two ASUS TF101 second-hand Tablets earlier this week and I am runningremote MFDs using VNC Viewer. All connexions between computers and Tablets are wireless. This set-up will allow me to make the Simpit portable.
You can also see the Saitek 52X Flight Control System stick and throttle, also found second-hand on eBay. I'm learning to set-up key profiles.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

09595f45f602c4a752d876c027aaee96.jpg

Here is the picture. In the background you see the 6ft HD projection screen I intend to use as my out-of-the-window display, hooked-up to a Epson EX5210 I've had for a couple of years for lectures I give occasionally. I have coupled the Simpit with a set of 3D speakers and woofer. Eventually, the woofer will be replaced by a bass shaker hooked up to the flight seat.

rhoude57

Reaction score
Today's, another step in the Simpit build. I received all my Arduino UNO R3 prototyping gear, including a CC3000 WiFi shield which I managed to hook-up into the Simpit network. Next step in the THC build, hooking up a joystick (X and Y axis) and connecting it to Orbiter via OrbConnect. After that, will vome the prototyping of the Z axis. I feel like a kid again doing breadboarding but on a gnarly dose of steroids! 80)

rhoude57

Reaction score
Nice and much simpler indeed. How are the X and Y axis articulated?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's pretty neat. Could you post prints/drawings/pictures when you get it working?

My desk space is at a premium not, but I could always make room, or build a new desk.

rhoude57

Reaction score
@Donamy, that's exactly what I will be starting with, but I plan to replace the knob with a 3D printed T-handle.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

@PhantomCruiser, I intend to publish all my 3D CAD drawings, Arduino sketches and schematics (looking into using KiCAD) on GitHub.