Mystery cosmic radio bursts pinpointed

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38502607

They're one of the most persistent puzzles in modern astronomy.
As the name suggests, Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs) are short-lived - but powerful - pulses of radio waves from the cosmos.
Their brevity, combined with the fact that it's difficult to pinpoint their location, have ensured their origins remain enigmatic.
Outlining their work at a major conference, astronomers say they have now traced the source of one of these bursts to a different galaxy.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The brief, extremely bright, and extragalactic nature of FRBs remind me a lot of GRBs. I'm going to bet that's not coincidental.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
From the timing, I wonder if some perversion of this news item is the source of the "scientists just observed something coming out of a black hole for the first time ever" article I just saw linked on Facebook. I'm not going to dignify that link by following it, though.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Usual thing with intergalactic pheneomn, phenome...things, they generate more questions than answers.
Be interesting to know what frequencies the events were at.
Looks like the article has been etended.

N.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
From the timing, I wonder if some perversion of this news item is the source of the "scientists just observed something coming out of a black hole for the first time ever" article I just saw linked on Facebook. I'm not going to dignify that link by following it, though.
I saw that on Facebook as well. A very misleading article from 2015. Weird how junk re-emerges on the Internet.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Well!!, it's just a burst of energy that went the long way around to get to us...

Did I forget to mention the redshift of this energy at a different vector angle... Sorry :) Makes you think though :lol: :thumbup:

Graham2001

Reaction score
With apologies to Lewis Carroll...

"But beware if your FRB be a Peryton, foir you shall silently vanish away and never be seen again..." :)