T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"A breakthrough in awesome space rockets"

Awesome space rockets? That's my area of expertise! :p

MattBaker

Reaction score
"Let's add some pyrotechnics there!" - "Uh, why exactly do we do that, Sir? Does it increase delta-v?" - "No." - "What about reusability?" - "Not really, no." - "Is it essential for separation?" - Neither that." - "So it's a backup system of some sort?" - "Nope." - "So, why do we do this?" - "Because NASA asked for 35% more awesomeness and we have to provide it!" - "Didn't the Russian already do that...180 from the launchpad, people liked that!"

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, so let's think about this: would Mentos and Diet Coke work in a vacuum?

Would Gravity have been a better movie if Sandra and George had salvaged these items from the Explorer's galley before making their way to the ISS?

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Would Gravity have been a better movie if Sarah and George had salvaged these items from the Explorer's galley before making their way to the ISS?

YES!!!!!!

As for working in vacuum: It might actually provide more thrust, as EVERYTHING will leave the bottle. Typical DC/Mentos reactions leave at least some of the Coke in the bottle. However, there's at least 5-6 pounds of thrust if you have it capped, then blow the cap off suddenly, like if it breaks. Enough to lift the bottle about a foot into the air and hurl it across a typical American residential street at over 10 mph... usually at a parked car! :p (Guilty:))

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow, I wasn't aware they were still using "a :censored:-load" as a unit of measurement in spaceflight! Learn something new every day, I guess . . . :blink:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Wow, I wasn't aware they were still using "a :censored:-load" as a unit of measurement in spaceflight! Learn something new every day, I guess . . . :blink:

Yeah...there still using "RCH" too. :rofl:

BTW, I saw this on Google+ about a week ago and re-shared it there. Should have put here it too.