News Nasa unveils bold plans to send humans 'one-way to Mars to colonise planet'

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm sorry, but "We're conducting feasibility studies" is a LONG way from "Bold Plans".

Media sensationalism, methinks. I really can't see NASA actually sending humans to Mars with no way to bring them home again.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...umans-one-way-to-Mars-to-colonise-planet.html

I don't know about you, but there are a few people in my life who I would LOVE to send on a one-way trip to Mars. :lol:

Old news - and they don't get more correct over time.

Also, the research paper itself is...well... lets call it dubious.

http://journalofcosmology.com/Mars108.html

Not that I have problems with scientists citing their previous research, but if the majority of the references comes from inside your own team, there is a good reason to doubt proper work being done - these scientists are wearing blinds.

If you remove all papers in the references, that are by Schulze-Makuch or Davies, there is not much left. The two Zubrin books, one by Sagan, one dubious about the world going to an end. Another set are analysis of the Viking results, despite being questionable, since the Viking data had many indications of malfunctions. I would have at least insisted on having rover data or Phoenix data as comparison for a alleged one million dollar paper.

Which makes you then wonder how the two authors managed to get 5 scientists outside their institutes for peer review.

The best finding in their whole paper is the part that translates to "Once we have a mars base there, it will be easier blackmailing politicians for sustaining it, than funding an expensive return mission." Which suggests that politicians will care...if they just wait long enough, the problem of returning astronauts that willingly went on a one-way trip solved itself...

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Usually full of spelling mistakes, last I saw. I don't read either, as a general rule.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Usually full of spelling mistakes, last I saw. I don't read either, as a general rule.

How boring. Didn't they learn that spelling mistakes don't matter in articles about the extraordinary life of those girls that you show nude? :facepalm:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's the Sun with the topless ladies in it. ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's the Sun with the topless ladies in it. ;)

Yes, the Sun knows the trick how to distract the reader from the bad spelling. :cheers:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I would LIKEto go on a one-way-trip to mars.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

but there are some bullies in my class who could fly to sun...

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
The media has already posted a picture of the spaceship they will use:
The%20100%20Year%20Spaceship_604x341.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/29/nasa-cover-up-hundred-year-starship/?test=faces

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
...hundreds of news reports about the program have theorized that the substantial budget indicates the Hundred Year Starship is a dramatic shift for the stalled space program...
Since when is $1M a "substantial budget?"

$1M is what you give to a project that you're investigating, not one that you're actively pursuing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A budget of 1 million is actually just enough to let ten scientists work on the topic for a year. Hardly a big project anywhere.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If they're only sending human embryos, it might work.

Though why you'd want a few hundred frozen embryos sitting on the surface of another planet escapes me...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There were similar announcements in the early 60's, to win the Moon race. Some weird projects involved sending a single astronaut for an one-way trip to the Moon. He was supposed to wait several years until the technology was ready to bring him back. That kind of approach never left the paperboard, but inspirated movie directors !

One way Moon trips and other desperate measures