[NASSP 8][Apollo 8] Weird manual optics behavior

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
So I had something very strange happen during a P52. I followed all the steps up until I was supposed to center the star in the SXT crosshairs. When I move the optics, they won't move very far, then as soon as I let go, they bounce back to the original position!
Yes, I am on opt mode Manual, and the DSKY shows F51.
If I exit P52, the optics work as expected in Manual mode.
The only way I can complete a P52 is to not give the optics to the CMC at all, and center on the selected star totally manually.
All of my P52s worked as expected until I did a P52 option 1. That one worked fine, but I have had this problem ever since.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've definitely seen this before. The CMC is allowed to use the optics in manual, it's just the software that sees the switch in manual mode and usually doesn't do that. What sometimes screws this up is some P40 exit settings (SPS TVC uses the optics CDUs) not working right. I don't know how or why though. It seems like more of a CMC software issue than NASSP code, but I haven't read anything about this in the historical documentation. Maybe it only affects some missions? But I think what would fix it is the next SPS burn and exiting P40. I don't remember how to fix it without that, probably some flagword to set or so.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
It happened on Apollo 8 right after MCC4 (RCS, P41)? I pressed on through LOI-1 and the issue is still there. I will try LOI-2 and report back. This also happened on Apollo 7.
Since the CMC software for 7 is not available, 7 and 8 use the same CMC software, correct? If so, that might explain the issue happening on both missions.

Here is a scenario. Just run a P52 opt 3.

Attachments

• 503 CMC Optics Issue.scn.txt
    151.7 KB · Views: 167

Miriam

Reaction score
When I remember right, I solved the problem by putting the CMC in standby via P06 and power it back up immediately. You could try that, doesn't hurt.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
When I remember right, I solved the problem by putting the CMC in standby via P06 and power it back up immediately. You could try that, doesn't hurt.
If you do this you do need to reset the REFSMMAT and DRIFT flags though, apart from that there's no side effects.

Miriam

Reaction score
Right, go through the 'P06 inadvertently selected' stuff, I forgot.?
But still strange, isn't it? As if P40 doesn't end a task or forgets to deactivate the TVC DAP. Maybe it could help to turn the DAP off and on again: Call V48, set R1 of N46 to 0XXXX, cycle through the rest of the routine (this should kill any DAP jobs), call V48 again, set R1 of N46 back to 1XXXX again, cycle through the rest, key V46E. Worth the try.
Edit: tried it, won't work. P06 does, though, V36, too. Really looks like some zombie job stays alive after P40.
Edit2: Narrowed it down to Channel 12: I get 00040 in P00. In P52 it gets stuck in 00042 once the auto-optics routine sees that the Mode sw is in CMC. The 4 (enable IMU error counter) shouldn't be there in the first place, the 2 (enable optics error counter) should change depending on the Mode and Zero sw -it doesn't. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Miriam

Reaction score
How do I do that?
Set the DRIFT and REFSMMAT flags again:
V25N7E, 76E, 40000E,1E (that's DRIFT)
V25N7E, 77E, 10000E,1E (that's REFSMMAT)
I'm not quite sure, but AFAIK the RCS DAP isn't restart-protected, so you'd have to cycle through V48 once and do a V46E, too.
Also how do I do a V36? Meaning, do I just key it in, or will I need to reset some other stuff after?
Yes and yes: V36E will cause a restart, after which you'll have to set those flags again.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
Edit2: Narrowed it down to Channel 12: I get 00040 in P00. In P52 it gets stuck in 00042 once the auto-optics routine sees that the Mode sw is in CMC. The 4 (enable IMU error counter) shouldn't be there in the first place, the 2 (enable optics error counter) should change depending on the Mode and Zero sw -it doesn't. Very interesting.
The IMU error counters are used to display IMU error from the desired DAP attitude on the FDAI, that's why that's on.

I haven't yet figured out what the cause of this issue is. In order to watch some memory locations while making DSKY inputs I have constructed an EMP to put a location in unswitched erasable on the downlink list as ALARM 3 (R3 of noun 9). This can be viewed using NASSP's telemetry client: https://github.com/orbiternassp/telemetryClient/blob/master/GroundStation.exe

Here's the EMP: https://gist.github.com/ThymoNL/68565ebe876eaa90b2a351a0e464368d

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
P06 CMC standby worked. The issue never reoccurred, even after TEI.
Thanks for helping me through this! Funny thing is though, I have flown a bunch of missions in NASSP, and this issue only appeared on the last two! (This run of 503, and my last go at 205)... Go figure.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello guys,

Don´t know if doing something wrong. When moving the optics around during P52 or P23, on manual mode, optics seem to be locked around the place where the CMC leaves them after moving to the star. When I press WASD, they seem to be returning to some origin point.

I believe I had this problem only during P23´s, but found out that also happens during a P52 Option 3 I just did.

Here is a video wich I don´t know if is very clear for you as you can´t see my inputs with the keyboard.

I also attach a scenario after the P52 wich I recorded.

Best regards,

Attachments

• (Current state) 0001.scn.txt
    188.6 KB · Views: 105

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
First thing I am noticing is your coupling switch is in "resolved." Try moving it to DIRECT.

Reactions: STS

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello, yeah, I have it on "resolved" because of this recomendation by @ggalfi https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/v8-release-work-thread.36128/post-583566:
Additionally, you may use the resolved optics coupling mode (instead of direct), which automatically adjusts shaft and trunnion in a way that the center of viewport moves upward for pressing key 'W', moves down for 'S', etc.

Also, I used "resolved" on the whole Apollo 7 and didn´t had this "issue"...

Maybe I should learn about "Direct" and "Resolved" as the behavior can be different at cislunar space?

Best regards,

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah maybe I am misreading your problem. I ran your scn and had no issues with the optics running a P52 so maybe you could clarify what is seeing incorrect?

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Ok, thanks for the help. Will try the P06 tonight.

Best regards

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
It certainly is something weird going on in the AGC. I spend a couple of hours digging in to this in October and somehow the AGC is ignoring the state of the optics mode switch in certain cases causing it to drive the optics to the last AGC commanded position. You can fix it by going to P06 or a V36 to reset some flags that cause this state. I haven't yet determined the root cause so I will need to revisit this.

Also read this thread on the same problem: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/a-very-strange-optics-issue.40170

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Confirm that P06 and G&N Recovery procedure:
2. V25 N7E, 76E, 40000E, 1E (set DRIFT flag)

3. V25 N7E, 77E, 10000E, 1E (set REFSMMAT flag)​
worked.