Software NASSP Apollo 8 CTD Issue

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello, I've been having a problem with NASSP crashing, this last one during an extended period where I was running the scenario at real time (I've had a problem with time acceleration, I believe because I'm using a bottom-feeder laptop with poor graphics). This crash occurred about 24 hrs into the mission. I failed to record what the screen message said (something to do with the D3D9 client), but I'm attaching the Orbiter.log. Is there something going on that I can fix? Thanks.

Attachments

• Orbiter.log 2-10-2021.txt
    12 KB · Views: 9

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Wedge313 : I believe the log you've posted is useless, sorry.
It seems that you have opened the launchpad (started Orbiter) after the crash, which overwrites the "original" log :(

The message from D3D9Client probably was about "lost connection to device", which can happen if the screen went "off" by accident or when Windows tries to lock the computer-(screen).
But this is just a guess, as the log can't tell us anything unfortunately.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I get the same thing if I turn my screen off with Orbiter running. Not a NASSP issue, but it can be a little annoying.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Thank you to all for responding. I posted this back in February, when I first started to work with NASSP. Over the last few months I've learned that my low-price Dell laptop is just not capable of running a lot of the NASSP scenarios. I can still manage my way through most of the scenarios, but a few things (docked SPS burns, time accel over 4x, re-entry, etc) require much better CPU/GPU capability than I currently have. The good news is anytime something goes wrong, I can blame the computer! Bad P52? It's not my fault, it's the computer! Mess up the transposition and docking? It was the computer. It's nice having a convenient excuse, true or not.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah! That's the spirit ?
Although, even with a low-spec hardware, a CTD should not happen during "normal operations".
But what exactly "normal operations" are, is a wide field ;)

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I don't run the NASSP, mainly because I'm also on a low end laptop, HD mostly full, but I have a second monitor, but on different format (4×3), than the main screen(16×9). If I have it plugged in before I start Orbiter_ng, everything works OK, including other apps and stuff on the second monitor, but, if I plug in the second monitor while Orbiter_ng is running I get the same error message 'kuddel' referred to and it crashes. I have to quit and restart. Apparently DcD9 loses its marbles if something changes in the video part.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, that absolutely explains it. Adding another (DirectX) device at runtime is something D3D9Client doesn't like.
Thanks for the report ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"Lost Device" is not exactly a CTD. The Orbiter is still running without graphics. So, you can still save the simulation state with Ctrl-Q and then reload and continue.