Problem NASSP CSM RCS Helium Pressure

Zane

Reaction score
Hello all. I've got a little problem here. I was flying the Apollo 7 mission, and at about 24 hours MET, I started getting a bunch of SM RCS lights, due to the fact that the RCS pressurant's pressure was dropping below nominal. After a little bit, I completely lost the ability to maneuver with RCS engines. I decided I'd wait until the spacecraft "tumbled" somewhere toward the proper orientation for retrofire and fired the SPS to reenter. However, when I went to separate the CM from the SM, nothing happened. No matter how much I pressed the switches, the spacecraft just wouldn't separate...

So that's why I'm posting here, in search of some insight.

Oh, by the way, in case it's important, I'm using the latest NASSP release, from September 19.

Last edited:

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Are you flying "Quickstart" or Virtual AGC?
what procedure did you follow to activate the RCS? How about for separation? Did you have the pyros armed?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know why you lost RCS pressure, but be sure you have the pyros armed when doing something like a seperation.

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
I was flying the Apollo 7 mission, and at about 24 hours MET, I started getting a bunch of SM RCS lights, due to the fact that the RCS pressurant's pressure was dropping below nominal.
Probably this: Each SM RCS quad has 2 tanks, a primary and a secondary tank and the secondary tank isn't pressurized at launch. When about half of the propellant of a quad has been used, the primary tank is empty and you need to pressurize the secondary tank by switching the SM RCS SEC FUEL PRESS A/B/C/D switches to OPEN.

Cheers
Tschachim

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Can you post the scenario?

It would help.

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
However, when I went to separate the CM from the SM, nothing happened. No matter how much I pressed the switches, the spacecraft just wouldn't separate...

NASA tried very, very hard to ensure that you couldn't separate the CM from the SM unless you had about a dozen switches and circuit breakers in the correct position :). I suspect you have a misconfigured SECS.

Also, you need to hold them for a split second to ensure the pyros fire.

Zane

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, everyone.

Anyway, I was flying Quickstart, and I did in fact go through all of the separation checklists. I did not, however hit the switches that Tschachim said. So that's one thing down.

However, with respect to the separation problem, I have a little bit of information that I probably should have posted before- I had quit Orbiter right after launch, and as usual, Orbiter saved the scenario in (Current State).scn.

After a little bit of non-Orbiter related stuff, I checked the NASSP wiki and realized that my version of NASSP was out of date, so I downloaded the release that I said I had in my first post, and then continued "orbiting." Maybe that created some weird problem.

Last edited:

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
... I checked the NASSP wiki and realized that my version of NASSP was out of date, so I downloaded the release that I said I had in my first post, and then continued "orbiting." Maybe that created some weird problem.

Yes, you really should start over with a scenario in the "Project Apollo - NASSP" folder after an update.

Cheers
Tschachim

rockettony101

Reaction score
yeah ive been haveing the same issue but im doing apollo 11 and my rcs a and c is not working well i got a sm rcs a and c warning light and i cant figure out what to do

sw34669

Reaction score
I've just had this same issue today - Looking at Orbiter 2016 prop tanks 2-3-4-5 they are all just about empty 69 hours in and showing as 50kg tanks. is 50kg the correct ammount for He+Prop ? I think they should be 150kg

Last edited: