NASSP CTD issue

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello, sorry to keep bringing this up but it's preventing me from making progress with the Apollo 8 mission....So I completed my first MCC, and put the spacecraft into the PTC roll. There was nothing to do for about 4 hours (around T+33:51), and because I've been having issues with time acceleration I left the simulation running at 1x (normal) speed. After about two hours I checked to see how things were going only to find the simulation had crashed. I've attached a screenshot of the message I received, and a copy of the Orbiter.log file. If you could take a look, I'd appreciate knowing if there's anything I can do to fix this issue. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2-13-2021.jpg
    Screenshot 2-13-2021.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Orbiter.log 2-13-2021.txt
    12 KB · Views: 134

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember getting that display a bunch of time in the past. The easiest way to get it is CTRL + ALT + DEL to open the Task Manager (in Windows 10). The DX9 Client doesn't like that. I don't know what happened in your case though. Maybe the computer trying to go to sleep mode? But that's definitely a DX9 Client issue, possibly some display setting.

Also, "API 160828" keeps occuring in the log file. Are you running Orbiter 2016 instead of the Orbiter Beta? It is strongly recommended to use the Beta with NASSP. See the installation instructions: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/nassp-8-installation-guide.36801/

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
98% certain that isnt a NASSP issue. The issue comes from D3D9 client. I get the same behavior if I turn my screen off when Orbiter is running.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Guilty. I have been using Orbiter 2016 vs Beta. One more question: Rather than downloading Beta onto this computer, I'd like to try installing it on a different (hopefully better) computer. If I do, can I somehow transfer the Apollo 8 scenario I'm currently running to the new computer, or would I have to start the scenario from scratch? Thanks.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Transferring the scenario is no problem, it just should be the same NASSP version that you have started the mission with.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Two changes I've made that seem to have improved my situation: First, when my simulation crashes the message I get refers to "true full screen" mode. Under the Orbiter Video tab I changed the setting from Full Screen to Window, and I've used 10x time accel without any crash over a five hour period. Second, while reading the CSM G&C Checklist for Passive Thermal Control (SCS) on page 8-4, step 8 refers to "If time acceleration required". Using that I have had no PROG or RESTART issues while in the PTC roll over that same five hour 10x period. No real idea what I'm doing here, I'm in the "push different buttons until you get desired results" mode. But these changes seem to be allowing me to proceed. I will still try to install the Orbiter Beta, but that process seems like another steep learning curve for me as a computer illiterate, so until I start working with the LM I'm hoping to muddle through as is with Apollo 8 and get the Beta in the near future. Thanks for your help.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You should be fine staying with Orbiter 2016 flying Apollo 8. The main issue with it involves docked CSM and LM, the moments of the inertia of the docked vessels were calculated wrong, something that got fixed in the Orbiter Beta. Apollo 9 can't be flown with Orbiter 2016, no matter how you configure the LGC, the docked DPS burn doesn't work right. And there were some issues we had with Orbiter API calls in Orbiter 2016, but our workarounds for that are still in place, even though it's not a problem in the Beta anymore. I will delete those eventually, but will keep them around until the next stable Orbiter release I guess.

It's a good idea to disable all thrusters when doing PTC with time acceleration, contrary to the real checklists (obviously they had no time acceleration). It never ends well in general when some automatic attitude mode is in control during time acceleration.