NASSP for dummies?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello, I know this question has been asked in one form or another, but I'm pretty much in flail mode here. I'm trying to learn how to use NASSP 8 on Orbiter 2016, and I'm struggling. I have seen "RTFM" as a response to other posters questions, but I'm confused what "the manual" is, or where I can find it. There's a ton of info out there but I get bogged down trying to decipher what's applicable and what's outdated. Can someone give me a list of required reading? With Orbiter, there's a lot of very helpful video tutorials, but for NASSP I can't find anything that's instructional, a few videos demonstrating various stages of a lunar mission but none that explain what's actually going on. I don't mind doing the work, I enjoy learning about the AGC etc., I just would like a little direction to get started. Please remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. Thanks.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did you already read the files in: "(Orbiter-NASSP8)\Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP"?

Those are pretty much what you need for understanding what is not part of the checklists - and how to see the checklists in flight.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What is current is the installation guide: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/nassp-8-installation-guide.36801/
What will always be current is the Apollo Operations Handbook for the CSM: https://history.nasa.gov/afj/aohindex.html

One reason why the documentation is lacking is that the real documentation like the AOH can be used instead of anything NASSP provides, as with few exceptions you can treat the CSM and LM like the real spacecraft. Another reason is that NASSP is currently in Beta and not all documentation has been updated from NASSP 7.0.

Aside from that you are absolutely right, NASSP doesn't provide a lot of help for beginners. I would like to see a tutorial series on various subsystems and procedures, but I'm not sure I am talented enough in video creation to do one myself.

So I can only really say this. Documentation will get better when NASSP 8 is closer to release (for the next stable Orbiter release, if that ever comes...). My suggestion is to start with Apollo 7 or 8, so a CSM only mission. Use one of the MCC scenarios, read the AOH and definitely use the Checklist MFD, which covers the entire mission. Just getting to launch from the T-4 hour scenarios is already a lot, but it helps with learning the panels and where everything is, even if you don't know what you are doing at first.

When it comes to the AGC, it would be great to use some documents from back in the day, but they tend to be too simple or way too comprehensive. There is a "Users' Guide to Apollo GN&CS Major Modes and Routines" but that is more than 1000 pages, goes deep into all the details and we don't have one that applies to every mission. This one is a bit earlier (for Apollo 14 or so), but still differs in some ways from e.g. Apollo 8.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When it comes to the AGC, it would be great to use some documents from back in the day, but they tend to be too simple or way too comprehensive. There is a "Users' Guide to Apollo GN&CS Major Modes and Routines" but that is more than 1000 pages, goes deep into all the details and we don't have one that applies to every mission. This one is a bit earlier (for Apollo 14 or so), but still differs in some ways from e.g. Apollo 8.

Your URL to the document is broken, you just linked to a file on your HDD.