Flight Question Navaids

DGMP

Reaction score
what exactly im suppose to do with them? how do i use navaids?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
what exactly im suppose to do with them? how do i use navaids?

Navids largely work in the same way as in the real world. You tune a receiver to them and they'll be picked up on things like the HSI.

When landing I'll always tune a navaid so that I know the general heading I need to point. I also use waypoint mfd and glideslipe mfd but the navaid is a nice backup and reminder.

the more important navaids are the ones on VTOL pads. Very useful for ensuring that you're right over the pad before landing. I use those a lot on the moon.

DGMP

Reaction score
Navids largely work in the same way as in the real world. You tune a receiver to them and they'll be picked up on things like the HSI.

When landing I'll always tune a navaid so that I know the general heading I need to point. I also use waypoint mfd and glideslipe mfd but the navaid is a nice backup and reminder.

the more important navaids are the ones on VTOL pads. Very useful for ensuring that you're right over the pad before landing. I use those a lot on the moon.
so i simply use them by HSI MFD?

DGMP

Reaction score
oh & what about the tracking stations? are they just for realism or they have any practical use?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
oh & what about the tracking stations? are they just for realism or they have any practical use?

Tracking stations are part of add-ons, vanilla Orbiter does not know them.

DGMP

Reaction score
Tracking stations are part of add-ons, vanilla Orbiter does not know them.
but in map MFD theres an option to view them(without any add-on. i installed some & not in any of them tracking station are mentioned).. so they are exist in vanilla, hmm?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
but in map MFD theres an option to view them(without any add-on. i installed some & not in any of them tracking station are mentioned).. so they are exist in vanilla, hmm?

Please - and really P.L.E.A.S.E - bother to read the Orbiter Manual called Orbiter.pdf in your docs folder. The online help function of Orbiter does not explain everything and wildly guessing that TRK means "Tracking stations" is soo...................... I need a beer, sorry.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Please refer to orbiter.pdf

page 75 - MapMFD
page 92 - Radio navigation aids