General Question Need a step-by-step instruction setup for VC2022 ...

llarian

Reaction score
Okay, I have just redownloaded and reinstalled VC 2022 Community Edition along with the Desktop Development with C++. I intend this for two purposes: to relearn addon development and to build OpenOrbiter. Zo, I really need a step-by-step guide in setting up both to ensure that my setup is correct for use.

Can any of you point me to such a guide, or offer advices to help along the way? I have downloaded the Git files for OpenOrbiter and they reside in a directory called openorbiter-main. I have several regular Orbiter directories so the SDK are there. Now I need guidence from here.

Any help for my old brain and memory will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I can't help with setting up VC2022 for compiling addon modules, but I wanted to point out that it is also now possible to make vessel and MFD addons using Lua scripting, no compiling needed. This is a relatively new development and documentation is catching up with the new capabilities. Not all of the Orbiter methods are available in Lua script format (yet) but the vast majority are. The good folks maintaining the OpenOrbiter GitHub repository have been pretty responsive about implementing features in Lua when the issues are reported through GitHub. Depending on what you are attempting to develop Lua Scripting may be a completely viable option.

llarian

Reaction score
Except that the OpenOrbiter Github repository files still have to built. That is one of the setups that I was asking for.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Except that the OpenOrbiter Github repository files still have to built. That is one of the setups that I was asking for.
As @DaveS said, OpenOrbiter is available pre-compiled. You will need the textures from Orbiter 2016, so download and extract Orbiter 2016, then extract OpenOrbiter into the same folder. Then you should be good to go.

llarian

Reaction score
I'll check to see if they will work on my system, but that doesn't answer my original question. I want to learn how to do the build which is why I want a working setup.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I would second @llarian 's need for a step-by-step guide to setup Visual Studio or Studio Code (most preferred) for Orbiter, especially with runtime, all my previous attempts from scratch failed and I had always to re-use a past config from another module... which is far from optimal.

In the meantime, I discovered an excellent tuto about the bases of the Compiler, then Linker, that is a must-see IMO, within a full series:

llarian

Reaction score
I bumped into this series a couple of days ago. Very helpful.

llarian

Reaction score
Decided to put my money where my mouth is, so I am working up just such a step-by-step guide. Bear with me this might take a while (I am old and forgetful). If you have suggestions PM me or email.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm now walking this (long) way for C# and .NET... then I think it is an excellent idea to do it for Orbiter 2016 / OpenOrbiter as a whole. I would suggest you to focus on the setup for Studio Code, not for Visual Studio (where we end up with not understanding anything anymore...). I'm interested in testing. C++ does not need .NET but C# does. So maybe you'll have to consider both in .NET >=5 (say .NET6 to avoid pushing for the latest version).