Flight Question Need help doing a Direct Reentry from the Moon

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is it possible because I changed the Anticipation angle mid-flight?

Yes, likely. If you change one variable, others have to change as well, for you passing the same point over the surface of Earth at a different time.

Andy632

Reaction score
I've been trying this and have two successes so far, one targeting Canaveral and the other White Sands.

I've run into a bit of a problem with IMFD Base Approach though, which is the program used in the first step in dgatsoulis's demonstrations on youtube. I wonder if anyone else has had it? Sometimes trying to set a hint doesn't give any solutions, even if running up from 0 to several million seconds. A typical return might be about 350 kiloseconds, as I understand it.

The only time I've been able to make it work is when reproducing the Apollo 11 flight, taking off from the Eagle's touchdown point, heading prograde or retrograde, and at a similar MJD (give or take a day or so) to the original ascent time.

It shouldn't make a difference what time or latitude you take off at though, shouldn't it? If you're starting on the Moon you're obviously already in the Earth-Moon plane. So there's something up with my IMFD or I'm missing something.

predattak

Reaction score
I've been trying this and have two successes so far, one targeting Canaveral and the other White Sands.

I've run into a bit of a problem with IMFD Base Approach though, which is the program used in the first step in dgatsoulis's demonstrations on youtube. I wonder if anyone else has had it? Sometimes trying to set a hint doesn't give any solutions, even if running up from 0 to several million seconds. A typical return might be about 350 kiloseconds, as I understand it.
Yes, on some dates that happens.
In Base Approach program go to "Approach For:" option and select "Re entry Old" instead of "Reentry".
After that play with the ReT and Ant values to get a good result for ReA, Eqi and oV and you are good to go.