Need help getting to orbit with OMS burns

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Orbital insertion burns and deorbit burns each typically require a velocity change of about 100–500 ft/sec
The velocity change required for orbital adjustment is approximately 2 ft/sec (0.61 m/s) for each nautical mile of altitude change"
thought this might help

Thank you, we do know the rules of thumb from the Shuttle Crew Operations Manual, which is one primary reference for SSU. No need for a necroposting there.

Also the problem is not finding an approximate solution to the problem, but a rather exact one.

1hippienaut

Reaction score
my apologies not my intent
my intent was to possibly help beginners of SSU
to start wrapping their heads around the concept
until the SSU systems were fully operational as in actual
shuttle and ground control
again my apologies

lzakelj

Reaction score
this simulator is way to hard for me i havent got a clue of what to do :-( even if i read real crew operations manual it's way out of my league. olso it's hard to follow if switches wont work at all. It would be nice for a simplifed manual though :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
this simulator is way to hard for me i havent got a clue of what to do :-( even if i read real crew operations manual it's way out of my league. olso it's hard to follow if switches wont work at all. It would be nice for a simplifed manual though :)

What about asking questions? :thumbup:

Yes, it is a growing evolving project - but the ascent phase until OPS 106 works pretty well and is almost according to the real one (the precalculated I-Load data is missing)

lzakelj

Reaction score
yes it's a fantastic add on for orbiter. And i cant wait for the final release. But to learn all that info....uff it's gonna be hard :) i get to a point to do an OMS burn to get me in to orbit but my OMS remains silent :) i typed the item 22exe,item 23 exe item 27 exe and pressed the exe 15 sec before burn i use right keypad nothing happens :) need to study more the manual but i don't understand it :) in time maybe

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
yes it's a fantastic add on for orbiter. And i cant wait for the final release. But to learn all that info....uff it's gonna be hard :) i get to a point to do an OMS burn to get me in to orbit but my OMS remains silent :) i typed the item 22exe,item 23 exe item 27 exe and pressed the exe 15 sec before burn i use right keypad nothing happens :) need to study more the manual but i don't understand it :) in time maybe

You also need to enter the burn target data: X, Y, Z and TIG. Otherwise, there is no maneuver to execute. In the real one, an illegal entry message should appear then.

lzakelj

Reaction score
could you please give me an example for the x,y,z, TIG?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
could you please give me an example for the x,y,z, TIG?

For example:

You are in a direct ascent mission. You skip OMS-1. So, you switch directly to OPS 105 PRO.

Now you enter TIG: 00:43:00 (43 minutes mission elapsed time) and Delta-V for X as 155 ft/s (X means: prograde, you want to raise perigee)

If you want to be more accurate, you use the Orbit MFD for getting the correct time of apogee and calculate the Delta-V by checking what the display calculates as final orbit after loading the solution data.

Last edited:

lzakelj

Reaction score
ok i'll try that. can you tell me what else is working on the current ssu version?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
ok i know it's sounds stupid but how do i do that? there is no letter t on keypad i see that item 10 is for tig but how do i write data to that field? sorry i'm very new to that :)

It is a bit more complex, but simple: ITEM 10 is just the first item for TIG, the mission day:

now you can either enter the full time

ITEM 10 +0 +0 +43 +0 EXEC

Every time you enter a delimiter(+ or -) after the first value, you enter data for the next item, the first goes to 10, the second to 11, etc.

Or you can enter every component of the time individually:

ITEM 12 +43 EXEC

If you need to enter a negative value to an ITEM, you use:

ITEM 19 -100 EXEC

lzakelj

Reaction score
ok i think i did it i'm not shure :) i typed the following item 10 0+0+3+0exe
item 19 +155exe item 20 +155exe item 21+155exe item 22exe item 23 exe item 27 exe i get the burn and i'm in stable orbit. i need to enter for item 10 like 3 minutes after main tank seperation otherwise i would burn in 43 minutes.
i didnt hear engines burning though is that normal or is something wrong with my installation? oh could you please past a link which nasa manual is the moste useful for these manevures? i really appriciate it :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

lzakelj

Reaction score
thanx. just one more thing. What else works on current ssu version?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
thanx. just one more thing. What else works on current ssu version?

Well, if you ask the pessimist in me: Nothing. Noooothing. Just go on, there is nothing to see.

But actually, for 6 years of free-time development, we have come a long way. Especially the RMS is a treat. But its still a lot of work left until you could fly a mission without too much fighting with SSU.

lzakelj

Reaction score
keep up the good work guys! :) by the time i figure it out all these ops, exe,item,gpc/crt..... SSU will be finished 3 times already :)