Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hi All,

I would appreciate help with something rather complicated which I just can't seem to be able to approach on my own.

I want to return the 'angle' to the sun of a direction vector in local-vessel frame. To better explain I have posted below code which achieves something simillar.

C++:
    VECTOR3 toSun, solpos, gpos;
    oapiGetGlobalPos(oapiGetGbodyByIndex(0), &solpos);
    oapiGetGlobalPos(vessel->GetHandle(), &gpos);

MATRIX3 R;
    oapiGetRotationMatrix(vessel->GetHandle(), &R);
    toSun = tmul(R, solpos - gpos);

double ang_s = fabs(atan2(toSun.x, toSun.z)) / PI;
    double ang_a = fabs(atan2(toSun.y, toSun.z)) / PI;
    //double ang_r = fabs(atan2(toSun.x, toSun.y)) / PI;
    return (ang_s + ang_a) / 2;

The above is tailored for another purpose; to take the vessel's AOA and slip angle to the sun, and return a number between 0-1, with 0 being pointed directly at the sun and 1 being pointed directly away. I keep trying to work with this as a starting-point but have found myself going round in circles. I don't think this is the right approach but I have reached an impass!

What I would like, is to be able to have a direction vector in local frame (for example 0,1,0: pointed straight up) and return the same 0-1 value based on this vector's angle to the sun. I need for the vector to be able to be dynamic, say for if I wanted it to rotate around the vessel, say starting as (0,1,0) and ending as (0,0,-1). Essentially this is for solar panel simulation, but I would like for the solar panel's direction to be able to be any direction (in case of solar tracking). I know this is probabloy a very roundabout way of tackling this, but I am developing this as part of an SDK, which is why I have need for such a universal-approach.

Thank you anyone who can help me with this, any help is greatly appreciated!

MrMartian

Gondos

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would appreciate help with something rather complicated which I just can't seem to be able to approach on my own.

I want to return the 'angle' to the sun of a direction vector in local-vessel frame. To better explain I have posted below code which achieves something simillar.

C++:
    VECTOR3 toSun, solpos, gpos;
    oapiGetGlobalPos(oapiGetGbodyByIndex(0), &solpos);
    oapiGetGlobalPos(vessel->GetHandle(), &gpos);

MATRIX3 R;
    oapiGetRotationMatrix(vessel->GetHandle(), &R);
    toSun = tmul(R, solpos - gpos);

double ang_s = fabs(atan2(toSun.x, toSun.z)) / PI;
    double ang_a = fabs(atan2(toSun.y, toSun.z)) / PI;
    //double ang_r = fabs(atan2(toSun.x, toSun.y)) / PI;
    return (ang_s + ang_a) / 2;

The above is tailored for another purpose; to take the vessel's AOA and slip angle to the sun, and return a number between 0-1, with 0 being pointed directly at the sun and 1 being pointed directly away. I keep trying to work with this as a starting-point but have found myself going round in circles. I don't think this is the right approach but I have reached an impass!

What I would like, is to be able to have a direction vector in local frame (for example 0,1,0: pointed straight up) and return the same 0-1 value based on this vector's angle to the sun. I need for the vector to be able to be dynamic, say for if I wanted it to rotate around the vessel, say starting as (0,1,0) and ending as (0,0,-1). Essentially this is for solar panel simulation, but I would like for the solar panel's direction to be able to be any direction (in case of solar tracking). I know this is probabloy a very roundabout way of tackling this, but I am developing this as part of an SDK, which is why I have need for such a universal-approach.

Thank you anyone who can help me with this, any help is greatly appreciated!

MrMartian
A dot product should give you something in the range [1;-1] where 1 is pointed directly to the sun and -1 away from it I think.
The two vectors need to be normalized and in the same reference frame.
Maybe you can take a look at NASSP's high gain antenna code, I guess they must be doing something similar

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
A dot product should give you something in the range [1;-1] where 1 is pointed directly to the sun and -1 away from it I think.
The two vectors need to be normalized and in the same reference frame.
Maybe you can take a look at NASSP's high gain antenna code, I guess they must be doing something similar
Thanks for the reply! From what I can see in NASSP's code it doesn't really work out for what I am trying. As for your suggestion, I think that is straight-forward enough, but one thing I am really having diofficulty with is creating a rotation matrix for my defined direction vecotr in the vessel's frame. For instance I can call GetRotationMatrix() to get the rotation matrix for my vessel, but how would I go about doing this for a defined vectore? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around matracies...

Gondos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! From what I can see in NASSP's code it doesn't really work out for what I am trying. As for your suggestion, I think that is straight-forward enough, but one thing I am really having diofficulty with is creating a rotation matrix for my defined direction vecotr in the vessel's frame. For instance I can call GetRotationMatrix() to get the rotation matrix for my vessel, but how would I go about doing this for a defined vectore? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around matracies...
I'm no math wiz but usually when you have a matrix and a vector, you end up multiplying them ;)
The art is in finding the right order when doing so 😅
Regarding you solar panel feature, you may want to take a look at vVessel::ModLighting (LPD3DLIGHT7 light), looks like it computes the fraction of light available after taking into account the closest planetary shadow

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
The code snippet in your first post is already a good start. The "toSun" vector you are calculating is the position of the sun in local vessel coordinates. The only things remaining are:
- normalisation, to get the sun's direction vector:
Code:
  VECTOR3 toSunDir = unit(toSun);
- dot product, to get the direction cosine:
Code:
  double cosdir = dotp(MyLocalDir, toSunDir);
- inverting the cosine, to get the angle:
Code:
  double dir = acos(cosdir)

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The code snippet in your first post is already a good start. The "toSun" vector you are calculating is the position of the sun in local vessel coordinates. The only things remaining are:
- normalisation, to get the sun's direction vector:
Code:
  VECTOR3 toSunDir = unit(toSun);
- dot product, to get the direction cosine:
Code:
  double cosdir = dotp(MyLocalDir, toSunDir);
- inverting the cosine, to get the angle:
Code:
  double dir = acos(cosdir)
Thank you so much Martins! That is perfect, works exactly how I need it to now. I think I need to familiarize myself with the math functions more... I often find myself neglecting to use them...

Thanks again!