OrbitMFD Need help/tutorial with Orbit MFD

Jason210

Reaction score
I am new to orbiter and would like some more information about the list of abbreviations for orbital variables and parameters on the left of Orbit MFD, and also, the graphics.

Although I have looked around I haven't found any comprehensive notes explaining it.

Any help appreciated.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Look into Orbiter documentation. For Orbiter 2010-P1 it's: Doc/Orbiter.pdf, "14.2 Orbit MFD", pages 63-66.

Jason210

Reaction score
Thanks. I have read that and it helps but I was hoping to find more explanatory notes.

For example, how is the Ascending / Descending Node & connecting line useful?

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I would recommend reading Go Play In Space. If you go through that in order, it does a very nice job of explaining the usefulness of displays on the Orbit MFD :thumbup:

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am new to orbiter and would like some more information about the list of abbreviations for orbital variables and parameters on the left of Orbit MFD.

In addition to reading section 14.2 of Orbiter.pdf per Orb's suggestion, refer also to this post by Tommy.

Jason210

Reaction score
Cheers guys. I find PeA, ApA, PeT, ApT and ALT the most useful. The other varaibales I don't seem to have much use for.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I find PeA, ApA, PeT, ApT and ALT the most useful. The other varaibales I don't seem to have much use for.

The variables you listed are the fundamentals for basic orbital mechanics. Though, I would add Ecc to that list

Eventually you'll probably find that Inc. and LAN are important as well. For example, when coming back from the moon, if you want to arrive back at Earth in an orbit that will allow you to rendezvous with the ISS, you'll make use of Inc and LAN during your mid-course correction burns to get lined up.

I haven't played with geosynchronous orbits yet, but I remember reading somewhere that semi-major axis (SMa) is an important variable in that case.