Question Need help with US geography

lebla312

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Launched a V-2/A4(vsfx) southward from White Sands and took a pic. Felt up to the "First photo from Space" Challenge in the doc. Problem is : I can't figure out what I'm looking at. I think its the Encino-San Diego area but not sure. The original would help, but I over-wrote it. ;0(.

Any guesses?

The Big Picture

The Details

Cheers

r.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Assuming those are the Sierras running up the right hand side of the frame I think you're actually looking more north towards LA and Santa Barbara. Which would put San Diego at the very bottom of the frame.

Another possibility is that or you're actually, somewhere over the Sea of Cortez and looking southwest over Ensenada and Chapultepec.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Assuming those are the Sierras running up the right hand side of the frame I think you're actually looking more north towards LA and Santa Barbara. Which would put San Diego at the very bottom of the frame.
I agree with this. Clearly visible is the Baja California peninsula with the zoomed in area being LA heading up to San Francisco.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Launch again, with cities displayed in planetarium mode. Then you'll know for sure.

lebla312

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
:facepalm: me

:hailprobe: me <=> youse guys

i will definitely try it with the Planetarium Mode on next time...and not loose the frickin' scenario file!
I'm going with the crowd and call it LA-SB.

Thanks to all,

r.

Launch again, with cities displayed in planetarium mode. Then you'll know for sure.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I agree with this. Clearly visible is the Baja California peninsula with the zoomed in area being LA heading up to San Francisco.

Clearly visible? I can barely make out anything, given how black and white and grainy the picture is. Then again, I've always been horrible about making out detail in any sort of B&W space photography.