Base New KSC LC-39A and SpaceX Brownsville launch site

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
With the first flight of the Falcon Heavy coming up very soon (I say 50/50 chance of flying before Dec. 31), the legendary LC-39A is gearing up for its new service for SpaceX right now - in fact construction of the new horizontal integration facility (HIF) right at its gates is now under way:

IMG_0750-copy.jpg

IMG_0777-copy.jpg

As such, I think this is a good time to replicate it in Orbiter as an alternative to the Apollo LC-39 and Shuttle LC-39, allowing new expeditions of your own space stations or your newest solar system probe to fly on the Falcon. :tiphat:

Also, you might all know that SpaceX is building a new launch site down in deep southern Texas near Brownsville (on the Boca Chica beach) as well (in fact the first 2 launch contracts assigned to there has just been signed with European telecom giant SES), and while it would not offer more capabilities than the bases already on Orbiter, it's still a new environment (empty seaside with desert-like beach dunes) and a future high-usage launch base that I think should be made.

f9brownsville1.png

Of course there's the problem that there are uncertainties with the details of these pads before they are complete, but I think there are detailed-enough plans out in the public that can be used to complete them. I actually might try doing this project (got a little bit more time for March) to try again testing my skills before doing more complex projects, although don't take this as a promise. :rofl:

Any comments? :tiphat:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I don't know about Brownsville given the lack of details, but it should be quite easy to make a SpaceX LC-39A given the RSS and FSS will remain relatively unchanged. Remove the Orbiter Access Arm, Gaseous Oxygen Vent Arm, add a HIF at the base of the pad and a T/E similar to the one at VAFB and you should be pretty set IMO.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Also, the new SpaceX concept video for the FH should give out an overall layout of the launch site. Can't embed it right now since I'm in school.