new THC controller

jllaurado

Reaction score
Hi, i´m posting this here in behalf of the author of the THC controller you can find in the URL posted below.
I´m afraid the details are all in spanish (for now) but i´m planning to help my buddy to translate it to english.

http://sergiocurci.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/translational-hand-controller-for.html?spref=tw

Some nice features on this design are that you can adjust it to operate either on frontal docking ports (DG-IV) or on top ones (Shuttle), or that as soon as you touch the handle Orbiter switches to translational mode, when you stop using it it reverts back to rotational.

While the post is being translated, you can post any questions here and i´ll gladly send them to the author.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

jllaurado

Reaction score
Hi,

I´ll ask him on what did the parts cost him, but he didn´t intended to sell it as far as i´m concerned, it´s a share-with-the-community project.

I´ve been around several times when he was building and testing it and i can say he salvaged pieces from other kits, so i guess it didn´t cost him much.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are there parts for 3D printing in it, or is all salvage?

jllaurado

Reaction score
He is seriously considering 3d printing, but for now this is the first prototype and made up of salvaged parts.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Looks really nice!

I had a idea for something similar to use with nassp but never got the time to make it.

jllaurado

Reaction score
I have asked Dockingboy about costs and he has told me that the most expensive part was the Arcade Joystick, which is around 8 Us$.
The case is made of Foamed PVC, he has used 4 metal rods, 8 springs, a pair of snap action switches, and several other components he salvaged from other circuits.
I´ll try to get a listing of components and an give idea on involved costs, in case anyone wants to give it a try.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd love to build it. My wife might eye-roll at another project, but anything that helps me fly and adds immersion is good. Eye-rolling I can put up with (all part of being married :yes:)

scuba_steve

Reaction score
love it!

I've been throwing around the concept of doing something similar but using this arcade joystick:

http://na.suzohapp.com/joysticks/ultimate_joy.htm

Problem with that one is that the switches are integrated into the rather large plastic assembly. It would be hard to spring mount that chassis in a reasonable sized enclosure.

The small switch he used is perfect! I found this part on digikey:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/1V15F1100/679-1405-ND/1280471

looks to be similar to what was used, but it has a handle. I'm guessing you can remove the handle. Wonder if its possible to just by the switch with a post?

maxfagin

Reaction score
If I may dredge up this decade-old thread, I have made a solution for this problem that will allow a regular 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse to be used as a THC. I made it for Reentry, but it should work for Orbiter as well. The files are free to download here.

20240224_151711.jpg