No Delorean for Orbiter?

Mr.Sly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just found Orbiter about two weeks ago, and love it!! All of the addon's I have so far are quite good. I've looked in several Orbiter addon sites and have not come across a flying Delorean.

I can see by all of the models on the sites that the modelers out there are very talented individuals. I was impressed by the number of Star Trek models and, of course, by the Delta Glider!!! But I was surprised to see that nobody has made the Delorean from Back To The Future. I thought it would make a great addition to the car collections available.

To fly the Delorean, to have the doors open and have a driver in there, to have the wheels tuck under in hover mode... I can only dream.

So I figured that I'd ask for it, and hope that some talented individual would be able to create one. I have absolutely NO talent in modeling. Never seen a 3D modeling program, wouldn't know the first thing about using one.

Thanks for reading all this, my first post... :)

Mr.Sly

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Someone did make that addon awhile ago, but I think thay were banned from the M6 forum.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Actually in the scheme of things, this addon does make sense.

There was a strange indirect connection between Delorean and Burt Rutan about the time everything went sour for the first.

Does anyone know this story?

Mr.Sly

Reaction score
Well... The programs that are used to make models SAY they are not too difficult... Maybe I will give it a try soon. Pretty busy right now, but in a couple weeks or so... Who knows? :)

OWSweather

Reaction score
That would be me. I did make the addon, but everything was suspended. That and the X-71 project.

Kevin Martin
OWSweather.com
Meteorologist / Owner

BlueDragon8144

Reaction score
well, I have a delorean model for a mod I was working on for a little game called GTAVC with animating parts and all.

BlueDragon8144

Reaction score
I have.
Anyway, here's what it looked like (ignore the speed, I was testing the graphical effects and time travelling doesn't help)
NewGlows2.jpg

newgreentubes.jpg

BlueDragon8144

Reaction score
I have a z3d form, but if I convert to max or 3ds, it looses it's smoothing groups and can appear a bit jagged around the door. It's not my model however, so I would have to get permission to convert it.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I am much more suprised that no one has made a SpaceShipTwo addon, as seeing the first test flights are in a few months. Even more so with no Ares 1-X addon, for that launch is next year.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I am much more suprised that no one has made a SpaceShipTwo addon, as seeing the first test flights are in a few months. Even more so with no Ares 1-X addon, for that launch is next year.
There is an Ares addon at orbithangar.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
time travel

The Delorean wouldn't be able to do time travel would it? If only Orbiter allowed time travel. Either with a flux capacitor or doing it Star Trek style.

BlueDragon8144

Reaction score
Well, unlike the movies, you'd have to worry about where each planet and moon is and then to stay true to the movies to calculate where the spot you left would be in the next time you traveled to.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
Time travel

True, but I've heard of some storylines where they actually take the planetary motions into account. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head though.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
True, but I've heard of some storylines where they actually take the planetary motions into account. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head though.

They don't do that in Back to the Future though. You could just do it the way the scenario editor does it: Suborbital objects maintain their position and velocity relative to the major body, while orbital objects are propogated along their orbital elements.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
time travel

Still, it would be cool to be able to be able to go back in time. I mean, it's not something you can go and do in real life.