Installation No Ecliptic or Celestial Grids Displayed in Planetarium Mode?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello,

I just finished installing Orbiter 2016 onto a new computer. Everything seems to be up and running fine, except that when I select Planetarium mode (F9), I am unable to get the ecliptic or celestial grids to display. I have both selected on the dialog, but I'm not seeing anything. I also cannot display the Constellation lines, I'm guessing for the same unknown reason.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Thanks.

Wedge313

Reaction score
OK, I tried switching to the Orbiter-NG version, downloaded the D3D9 client, and in this configuration I get the ecliptic and celestial grids, along with the constellation lines.

Additionally, using the built-in graphics engine I was getting hundreds of tiny black triangles all over the earth's surface. With the -ng and D3D9 I'm not seeing those anymore.

I'd still appreciate someone explaining what might be going on with the built-in graphics version. Another learning opportunity!

Thanks.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Additionally, using the built-in graphics engine I was getting hundreds of tiny black triangles all over the earth's surface. With the -ng and D3D9 I'm not seeing those anymore.

D3D7 is quite an antique standard. Modern computers have limited backwards compatibility. D3D9 is defintively the way to go, @jarmonik 's client is today quite an essential part of Orbiter.