No GSE glycol cooling on the pad

Miriam

Reaction score
Seems like the recent changes in the GSE glycol cooling broke something. I don't have any cooling on the pad now, radiator and evap outlet temps go offscale high after the pump is switched on and remain high. Or do I have to change something in the .scn?

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Miriam

Reaction score
I am on build 1663 -that's why I'm asking.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I am on build 1663 -that's why I'm asking.
Hmm, that's not good. Are you running a sceneriao that you started fresh in 1633? Could you post a scenario? We will take a look into is, I don't imagine this is a difficult fix.

Miriam

Reaction score
Just try the standard "Apollo 11 Launch -MCC" scenario and power up the primary pump.
I know very well that all those system updates may invalidate my quicksaves, so I start from scratch from time to time. Yesterday it was time.;)

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I will look into it, they were working fine for me after I pushed the fix but I will investigate!

Out of curiosity, what time acceleration do you use on the pad?

Last edited:

Miriam

Reaction score
10x max. But even in 1x the rad out temp doesn't really go down to a comfy level. 70° F is the best I get. When I power up the IMU it gets even worse...

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
10x max. But even in 1x the rad out temp doesn't really go down to a comfy level. 70° F is the best I get. When I power up the IMU it gets even worse...
So its designed to be 60-70F right now. I am looking for better sources of GSE temps. What are you looking at for a "comfy level"?

I have made some tweaks to help cooling in time acceleration but I am trying to get a baseline of what you are seeing.

Last edited:

Miriam

Reaction score
The AOH calls for 35 - 50° F, which does make sense. You've about 6 mins of flight with no heat sink in front of you. The system needs to be pre-chilled somehow.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The AOH calls for 35 - 50° F, which does make sense. You've about 6 mins of flight with no heat sink in front of you. The system needs to be pre-chilled somehow.
Correct, the current heat exchangers were set for like 70. I have brought them down a lot in my testing branch and am working on a way to better "chill" it during time accel.

EDIT: Updating this, it turns out a recent radiator change is the culprit. We are investigating as to why and we should be able to fix it.

In the mean time, the code has been reverted and of course once you get in orbit things should behave :)

Last edited:

Miriam

Reaction score
Hmm, does the GSE get activated at some specific time? I don't have cooling in the launch scenario, which starts at - 3h something, but I do have cooling in the -20 min scenario. (And I'm too lazy to wait those 3 hours to check out the time, I admit that...?)
Edit: found it: the RAD FLOW CONT PWR switch has to be set to PWR at least once. Maybe the diverter valves aren't configured correctly in the .scn?

Last edited:

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, does the GSE get activated at some specific time? I don't have cooling in the launch scenario, which starts at - 3h something, but I do have cooling in the -20 min scenario. (And I'm too lazy to wait those 3 hours to check out the time, I admit that...?)
Edit: found it: the RAD FLOW CONT PWR switch has to be set to PWR at least once. Maybe the diverter valves aren't configured correctly in the .scn?
I am curious as to where you are seeing "no cooling" and in which scenarios? I just ran a few fresh scenario files and all of the temps look normal.

EDIT: I think I see what you are saying I am seeing the outlet temps are 70 instead of 40 ish. I am testing placing the cooling heat exchangers in a better place. Granted the CSM needs an ECS rework, but this should give you better results when I am finished.

For debugging/sanity check though I would still like to see what temps you saw in which systems.

Last edited: