Gaming No Man's Sky

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I actually have to disagree here. I don't think I've ever experienced a game that his disappointed me and even angered me as much as this one has. I have tried so hard to like it, but (if I actually manage to get some play time in between it needing updates) I can only play a few hours before getting frustrated and moving on to something else. Its almost like they designed every aspect of the game (inventory, saving, sentinels, storms, space station docking and layout) to tickle my anger bone. I'm not going to try to convince anyone else, but just needed to get that off my chest. Also just wasted ~7GB of my data cap for the month on an update only for it to require another 8GB update a day later.
So it is not a game for you, fair enough.
However, my comment was regarding what HG did after they totally tanked the release: they did not run away, instead they cranked out update after update for no additional money, until the game now has more in it than was ever "promised" before the release. Despite all the negative response they got their act together and repaired the damage they've caused. I think that this was an honorable move compared to what other studios did and still do: ride the hype, take the money, then bust off and leaving the customer with a broken product.
Not that I'd ever trust anything Sean Murray says again, though...

Longjap

Reaction score
So it is not a game for you, fair enough.
However, my comment was regarding what HG did after they totally tanked the release: they did not run away, instead they cranked out update after update for no additional money, until the game now has more in it than was ever "promised" before the release. Despite all the negative response they got their act together and repaired the damage they've caused. I think that this was an honorable move compared to what other studios did and still do: ride the hype, take the money, then bust off and leaving the customer with a broken product.
Not that I'd ever trust anything Sean Murray says again, though...
Absolutely agree on their redemption, it was a passion project for the devs and I think they got caught in the web of the big boss boys to release it early. However my personal preference would have liked to see the investment of all these dev hours into the exploration side of things, perfecting their universe "seed" and procedural generation of landscapes, creatures and their behaviour. This was my impression of their vision when they first released the trailer, a chill exploration game with a very impressive procedural engine.

Sadly for me, the vocal multiplayer base was screaming blood and murder and I have the impression they started to cater the masses and therefore it has evolved in a run of the mill multiplayer game.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think they got caught in the web of the big boss boys to release it early.
Considering there wasn't really a "big boss", I think it was the simple old problem of "We have finished the money, but there's a whole lot of game left...".