Reaction score
nope still there
EDIT: WHAT THE **** ? they have been removed

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it's a bit weird that the descriptions are still there, but the actual files are AWOL. :blink:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Seems like they're having some disk problems at the moment, which could explain the missing files.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seems like they're having some disk problems at the moment, which could explain the missing files.

Yeah, they've probably gone M6 on us.:dry:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I never understood why some people only release Orbiter addons at AVSIM. One of the most frustrating things about Orbiter is having to track down addons from so many sites. Most of the time, if it's not on Orbit Hangar I wont bother looking for it unless it's a really really cool addon. Thankfully the majority of developers now release their stuff on Orbit Hangar too.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I never understood why some people only release Orbiter addons at AVSIM. One of the most frustrating things about Orbiter is having to track down addons from so many sites. Most of the time, if it's not on Orbit Hangar I wont bother looking for it unless it's a really really cool addon. Thankfully the majority of developers now release their stuff on Orbit Hangar too.

That makes two of us. Inded when I see someone release only on AVSIM, I can't help but think "this person doesn't know what he's doing."

Black dog

Reaction score
If I may add my humble opinion, AVSIM is too much bother. I'm just an average bloke with a computer, and I can't download from AVSIM at all, due to firewalling issues that I'm not happy to mess around with. I've followed their help instructions about IE, tried using Opera, fiddled about with cookie settings and FTP protocols etc etc, and all to no avail. I'm sure the AVSIM administrators are a great bunch of people who work hard and all, but I simply gave it up in the end. So for the sake of Orbiter frenzied computer maroons like me, please post your addons elsewhere too so we can download them too.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The problem of AVSIM is that it does not have a good search engine.
I find OH more convenient.
The reason why there are many sites with addons is that some people might want to host their own stuff. I use OH because it is convenient for people and because I have no host of mine.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That or they got hacked like some lil wanker tried to do at the RTF Project Forum last night/this morning. no damage was done and the site is secure.

VF2_Rolf

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
The Orbiter section at Avsim used to be it for common uploading of addons. It simply wasn't getting the traffic it used to...nor was the latest version of Orbiter posted there, even. So the Avsim guys probably thought that it was a waste of space. The rest of the FlightSim stuff is still there.

We should have all made better use of it rather than complain about it.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
AVSIM was just a pain in the ass. I never downloaded addons from there, anything that requires registration is being an annoying pain in the ass. Finding the damend addons was also a bit of a pain.

IMO, if it's gone then it's no loss. Hopefully it'll encourage people to use orbithangar instead.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OH isn't perfect, either. It's had technical dificulties in the past as well. So make sure you're keeping your addons backed up.

As for "complaining about AVSIM instead of using it", I used it when there was something I wanted, which wsn't very often, and until now I never had a comlaint. Orbiter is a vibrant flight sim and the idea that we didn't generate enough traffic seems absurd to me, since they support other obscure stuff.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OH isn't perfect, either. It's had technical dificulties in the past as well. So make sure you're keeping your addons backed up.

As for "complaining about AVSIM instead of using it", I used it when there was something I wanted, which wsn't very often, and until now I never had a comlaint. Orbiter is a vibrant flight sim and the idea that we didn't generate enough traffic seems absurd to me, since they support other obscure stuff.

I am sure AVSim had quite a good traffic, when regarding the fact that Brian Jones add-ons and most of Kevs add-ons are released on it. I personally prefer Orbithangar, but that mostly because of the bug report feature and pretty good reviews.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wasn't too fond of avsim either...It didn't really contain any new add-ons, most of the add-ons present there were incompatible with the latest orbiter release. Unfortunately I uploaded the Abu Planetary System there because of size restrictions in orbithangar...I personally prefer the forum for uploading add-ons, I can upload them right in my support forum, and provide any help if needed right there as well.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I've emailed AVSIM twice about this, asking if the Orbiter files have gone forever. First reply (which I now assume was a stock response) said "servers being upgraded, please wait a few days". Second reply (as of yesterday) was "Oh! we didn't know the Orbiter files were unavailable - we'll look into it"

No definitive answer to my question about whether they intend to continue hosting Orbiter stuff.

So...we watches and we waits...for a bit longer.

But I'm not very impressed, to be honest. If your job is to manage a file library - then manage it! Don't just forget about a whole section of it.

Still, there are/were some useful (if outdated) add-ons on AVSIM, would be a shame to lose them.

Regards,
Brian

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think when or if avsim comes back online we should check and/or move any files to Orbiter Hanger.

I believe that the Delta rockets and BrainJ's addons are the only major addons that aren't already on OH

Black dog

Reaction score
I have a question to throw into the air, please.

"The Outer Planets" addons, are they still of consequence or are they now outdated?

Thanks in advance to any body who replies.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello from Avsim!

Some of the older and less used files were archived until Avsim has been upgraded. Please try again in a few days.

RegardsR. CaseSenior Library ManagerAvsim Online!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::dry::censored::censored: