LaunchMFD No target accepted!

BlackM

Reaction score
Strange the launch MFD does not accept some targets. I want to go to the moon the MFD does not accept the moon as a target.
Any suggestions why that happen?
If there is no solve for this problem is not there any other MFD give me the heading of my target?:hailprobe:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Launchmfd won't accept targets whose inclination can't be reached from the launch site so if you are launcing from KSC the moon will not and cannot be used as a launchMFD target.

What you would do is launch directly eastward then use the above mentioned lunar transfer MFD for the TLI burn.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The stock transfer MFD is quite handy for getting to moons, I wind up using that one a lot. IMFD can also do it, and it'll quite happily guide you to the Moon from the surface - pop open a copy in each MFD screen, link them together, plot your course in one and use surface-launch in the other. The heading is, most of the time, due east (90 on the HUD).

Manually with Transfer MFD is fairly simple too - launch to orbit due east as mentioned, check your alignment with Align Planes (Rinc should be as close to 0 as possible, preferably less than 0.5 degrees), hit Transfer MFD and use the HTO function to add dV to your hypothetical transfer orbit to the moon. It takes a moment to work out what the lines mean, but there was an explanation picture somewhere about. The yellow dashed line should intersect the grey dashed line (Check me on those colours, because I'm not sat in front of it) which indicates the final positions of both your craft and the moon after the manouever. Turn prograde, wait for the time to burn (TEj) to hit 0, turn prograde autopilot off and burn until dV hits 0 (Careful, it gets there quickly towards the end). Click HTO again and see the result - it won't be quite like it was on the hypothetical orbit, but after a few practices you should be able to get there with enough fuel left to orbit and land.

BlackM

Reaction score
Thanks, but any suggestions which spaceport is best to use to launch to moon?
:thumbup:

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Thanks, but any suggestions which spaceport is best to use to launch to moon?
:thumbup:

Equatorial bases. Jarvis and Widewake come to mind.

Jarvis : http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5067
Widewake : http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3666