Gaming O-F Dwarf Fortress Succession Game: Armorwad - Minotaurs! Goblins! Railguns!

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
Training Animals

A tiger? Awesome. I haven't tried training animals in DF before, let's see how this goes. Hopefully another one of opposite gender will come along, and we can have lots of tigerkittens. :)

I have some experience training animals, especially big dangerous beasts like this.

You want to make the training/breeding area separate from the main fortress, I've only had one cave dragon go berserk from training, don't want to lose any more dorfs...

You need to get a dorf with the 'animal training' skill and labor, then you need to build a kennel (b -> k). Then set up a zone (i I think) and set it as an animal training zone. Then press z and select animals, highlight the animal you want tamed/trained; select it's trainer, then if not tamed, tame it then train it for either war or hunting, if tamed, just go ahead and train it.

you'll also want breeding cells for the female animals, I like to arrange them in 3x3 rooms arranged in a hallway with the rooms coming off of it like a centipeid's legs. Don't forget metal doors and chains in case they aren't yet tamed

Don't forget a food and water supply minecart shaft for the carnivorous animals, lost a few hands without them... and heads...

Don't send this one out into battle yet, the elves usually come by with more in a year or so, just please tell me you didn't trade them wooden items...

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Oh, and if it has kittens, can I get one that hasn't been war or hunting trained as a pet, love cats...

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
No, the tiger is tame and quite friendly. Right now he's sitting in the dining hall along with the dwarves... didn't seem to cause any trouble. Yet.

Training it is still out of the question currently. I have never trained any animal, and right now there are more pressing matters to take care of in Armorwad (the dwarven caravan has just arrived, fending off an ambush, and a moody dwarf asking for leather just finished his artifact, I am building a well, also, I'll have to improve the defenses...) so I might try to train him after all that. Breeding won't happen since I only have one animal. Hopefully the elves will come back next year with an opposite gender tiger.

I didn't trade them any wood, all I gave them was a single gold amulet.

It might be prudent in the coming years as more strange moods happen to buy random junk off the caravans, just in case.

I have already done that... yet I still had to butcher two animals to get leather for the moody dwarf mentioned above, although I remember quite clearly that I bought some. It's weird...

You need to feed and give water to tame carnivorous animals? The tiger is doing pretty well and I didn't do either of those. Then again, he lives in the dining hall, so maybe he managed to steal from dwarves...?

You can assign pets to dwarves? I thought that only they could choose their animals. One of the migrant waves did come in with a kitten, so I'll assign it to you if possible.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
You select the animals you want to be available as pets, open that menu with z -> animals, the dorfs themselves have to choose pets... except cats... THEY pick who is their master :lol: ... not sure about a tiger though, of course the workaround is to train it then assign it as a labor animal (v > select dwarf > p > labor animals I think)

It's a good thing it's tame... and i'm sure some dwarf is throwing scraps of meat at it... for now...

For defence, don't forget minecart cannons :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Remember that some animals need pastures, or one day they'll all suddenly die. :p

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Also, pastures without any protection or strategic placement will easily be the first target of an ambush, and your grazing animals generally have next to no defense.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I found it's possible to make underground pastures if you dig out a large area and let the cave fungus grow on it (if you have discovered a cavern). The grazing animals don't seem to mind the difference. If/when Armorwad's miners have some free time I'll possibly try that, but for now I'm trying to find metals. We have a ton of platinum and gold, but still no iron. :(

In the meantime the pasture is inside the defense walls but right in the path of invaders... I'll see what I can do.

Also, can ballista bolts pass through fortifications? My entire defense plan relies on the fact that they do at the moment... I certainly hope I haven't made a stupid mistake.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We have a ton of platinum and gold, but still no iron. :(

That is no problem. We sell a few gold crafts and get undecorated steel weapons and steel armor of that. And then we decorate them with platinum.

Also, can ballista bolts pass through fortifications? My entire defense plan relies on the fact that they do at the moment... I certainly hope I haven't made a stupid mistake.

Only if the fortification is next to the ballista. Otherwise there is an increasing chance that the arrow will get caught.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
That is no problem. We sell a few gold crafts and get undecorated steel weapons and steel armor of that. And then we decorate them with platinum.

That will work, of course, but I'd prefer not to be dependent on the caravan. Well, we'll hopefully have a choice. I'll keep digging whenever the miners have some free time.

Only if the fortification is next to the ballista. Otherwise there is an increasing chance that the arrow will get caught.

Thanks, that helps, both for Armorwad and for my future fortresses :) It is right next to the fortification, so there should be no problem.

I'll most likely be finished today, and I'll post the save as soon as I can. Sorry for taking this long, I promise my second turn will be shorter.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I finished Armorwad's second year. I still need to clean up the log and add pictures, but I can't do it today, sorry. Anyway, it's here in its current state.

Oh, and I wrote it while I was playing, so if it seems spontaneous and not very well thought out, that's because it is :p

(OOC: I know, my dwarf has been living here since the beginning of the fortress... Sorry for not keeping in line with that story, I found it was more interesting this way.)

4th of Granite
After a long, harsh trip I finally arrived at Armorwad. I'm not going to lie, I fully expected it to be a smelly hole in the dirt. Instead, I found a small, but thriving fortress with more than a dozen happy dwarves. First impressions

are good so far.

Immediately, my attention was drawn towards the giant wall in progress outside. It's a huge job, but I guess it will pay off once finished. I might decide to shorten building times though... we can't risk attacks while the wall is not

finished. I noticed some buildings outside, which I won't bother to close off with the wall, I'll just move them inside it. The wood stockpile is large, but it's outside. I'm going to move it inside too.

The dwarves started looking at me, as if I was supposed to know what to do. I noticed the animals were mostly grazing on sand, so I ordered the pasture to be enlaged.

I started exploring the fortress deeper. There's a small farming area here, but the still isn't doing anything. Once we make some pots I'll take care of that, I know from experience that having to go to the river (or anywhere outside) is

bad.

Some levels below I notice two huge stone stockpiles. Stone stockpiles tend to kill productivity. I'll likely order them removed.

Below is a nice bedrom area, a large open space which notes from the previous overseer propose to be turned into a dining hall, a small but thriving industrial area, and some exploratory tunnels lower still. We have a lot of gold and

platinum. The dwarves are making gold crafts. I start exploring what we can make out of gold and platinum and tell them to make all sorts of objects.

7th of Granite
I appointed the peasant Erib Kizestvabok as Armorwad's bookkeeper. I should have an office ready soon.

10th of Granite
I am currently building a large stockpile area next to the stone stockpiles.

[image]

5th of Slate
I haven't written anything here for a while because daily life has kept me busy. In the meantime, I have filled the stockpile area and destroyed the wagon. I have finally gotten around to making an office area. I have also told the

dwarves where to build the walls surrounding our base and to make a new trade depot inside this new area.

7th of Slate
The farming area is being enlarged. Such a small farm plot will not feed the hordes of migrants that are surely going to arrive. I also made huge changes to everyone's permitted jobs. Hopefully this will increase productivity.

[image]

8th of Slate
Erib Kizestvabok, our bookkeeper, has given birth to a little boy! Isn't he adorable?

[image]

26th of Slate
The wall around our base is complete and it looks something like this:

[image]

25 migrants have arrived a few days ago, bringing our total population to 40. Realizing that there was no meeting area designated, I quickly told the dwarves to hang out in the future dining hall. Our bookkeeper has finally received her

office and is working hard.

Among the migrants I find a number of farmers and hunters. Unfortunately, there's no mason among them.

7th of Felsite

The fisherdwarves are screaming at the river, terrified of the milkfish inside. Go figure. I ordered them all to stop fishing completely.

8th of Felsite
Izack has taken over our metalsmith's forge. I was already worrying about what he could want, praying to Armok that I wouldn't lose such an important dwarf. 5 minutes later, someone comes at me and tells me that he had taken a platinum

bar and is already working. Well, that was easy.

9th of Felsite
One of our planters, Udil Fikodkadol, has given birth to a boy.

13th of Felsite
Izack has finished the thing he was so secretive about. It's an insanely valuable (around 96000☼ if we trust our broker) chain.

[image]

15th of Felsite
An elven caravan has arrived. In other news, I started furnishing the dining hall and I also ordered it to be smoothed.

[image]

21st of Felsite
The dining room is complete, apart from all the smoothing and engraving.

1st of Hematite
My first three months of running this place are over. Here's a short version of everything so far:

Bookkeeper appointed
Stockpile area built and filled
Started office area
Wall construction started
New trade depot built
Farm enlarged
Job reorganization
Wall construction finished
Migrants arrive
Finished office area
Izack goes nuts and makes a nifty platinum chain
Dining hall almost complete

4th of Hematite
Some elves have arrived. We have given them an earring and bought some cloth and thread, because you never know when you need them to satisfy a moody dwarf's requests. I also bought a tiger. I always wanted a pet tiger!

[image]

10th of Hematite
The previous overseer has left the fortress in an excellent state and not seeing anything better to do, I started working on the outside wall. I plan to build some ranger towers and make some ballista corridors. This land is harsh and

unforgiving, and I'm not going to take any chances.

11th of Hematite
This is an early version of my plan for the wall. I plan to try to make it look better later as well. The towers will be on the corners and the long snake-shaped path to the south will have ballistas on both ends, as well as underground

tunnels leading up to them.

[image]

15th of Hematite
What on Earth happened here...

[image]

None of the dwarves seem to know what happened. Oh well. Maybe someone was bored.

24th of Hematite
More migrants have arrived some time ago, bringing our total population to 52... and not a single mason. Brilliant.

When the dwarven caravan arrives I'm going to tell them to tell the ones in the mountainhomes to send a mason. Because that always works so well.

28th of Hematite
I knew those stone stockpiles would be annoying, but when I saw someone in the mine with a wheelbarrow full of rocks, that was the last straw. I removed both stone stockpiles. The stoneworkers can get their own damn stones!

4th of Malachite
I needed a mechanic, so I told that lazy guy who calls himself 'Administrator' to actually start doing something. He proposed helping to run the fortress. I proposed jumping in the river. That shut him up and he started building the

workshop, mumbling quietly.

11th of Malachite
Argh! Enough! I thought I had told these people not to fish, but they simply can't listen, can they? I was wondering why nothing was getting built when I saw half the fortress cheerfully running to the river to put a couple of fish in

barrels. Well, guess what? We don't need that fish! Stop it!

14th of Malachite
Our military had no weapons, so I ordered some to be made. Sadly, we only have gold and platinum, both of them being nice but useless for weapons. So that means me and my mining partner Artlav will have to do some digging. He looked

confused when I told him about my mining plan though...

[image]

Trust me, I'm an overseer!

26th of Galena
Argh! Those damn kobolds won't stop coming! Around half a dozen came here within the last 3 days. I've had enough! I ordered the entire military to stay at the entrance and not spare any creature that dares to get near. Teach those

kobolds a lesson, folks!

1st of Limestone
Half a year has passed since I became the boss here. Another short version of the last trimester's events:

Elven merchants come
We buy cloth, thread, and a tiger
Wall improvement program started
More useless merchants arrive
I get annoyed oversss stuff
We (re)start mining

3rd of Limestone
We have no metal, yet we need to defend ourselves somehow. In the end, I thought that wooden crossbows are better than unarmored fists, so I told people to go ahead and make some. I'll see if anyone can actually hold a crossbow with the

right end forwards later.

20th of Limestone
I am currently building a well. Hopefully we won't flood the fortress... Thanks to Armok for my mining experience.

1st of Sandstone
Oh no, not again...

[image]

4th of Sandstone
Oh my, I love migrants! Especially when they're absolutely useless, like the ones that just arrived! Send me more!

Our current population is 64. We did get a competent mason, though. Well, I suppose it's better than nothing.

13th of Sandstone
The moody dwarf I wrote about two weeks ago keeps drawing leather and blocks and shiny gems. Well, I can manage blocks and cut gems, but where on Earth am I going to get leather from? I might have to sacrifice an animal. Hopefully we

sort this out...

18th of Sandstone
I've dug out the tunnels leading to the (future) ballistas and I'm also digging a place for the siege workshop. The well is almost finished as well, I just need a floodgate and to let the water flow.

25th of Sandstone
I've dug out a lever room. NOTE TO FUTURE OVERSEERS: All of my levers have notes on them which say exactly what they do. Read the fine print.

26th of Sandstone
No merchants have arrived and I find myself forced to slaughter our reindeer bull to satisfy the moody dwarf. Sorry fella!

5th of Timber
I made some leather a couple days ago. Apparently it wasn't enough for our moody friend. I'm not slaughtering any more of our farm animals. Instead, I ordered my military to kill a wild boar that was cheerfully trampling on our front

lawn. Urwumpe killed it with his axe. Hopefully that'll be enough leather.

19th of Timber
The dwarven caravan has arrived along with the liaison! I'll have to clear the way to the trade depot though.

21st of Timber
Disaster! An ambush!

At this point, an ambush means we're pretty much doomed. Our military only exists in theory, we have no traps set up, and the ballistas haven't been put up yet. For now Ive told the military to stay alert and everyone else to put two

doors at the entrance as fast as they can and lock them. If they have trolls then... I'll just hope they don't have trolls.

23rd of Timber
Well, turns out I was worried about nothing. The caravan's soldiers had no problem dispatching the ambush and the moody dwarf has finally begun his construction as well. The liaison made it to the fortress safe and sound. I told him to

bring weapons and metals next year, as those are the two resources we most badly need.

27th of Timber
The moody dwarf finally finished his artifact. It's a reindeer leather cape. It is, admittedly, worth over 50000☼, but otherwise useless.

1st of Moonstone
One month to go in my reign! As before, here's what has happened:

Started building a well
Continued building our defense system
We get ambushed, the dwarven caravan saves us from disaster

Not as much as the last ones, but I suppose it's something.

4th of Moonstone
Some child-snatchers have decided it would be fun to try to steal our children. I killed two and a third one fled in fear, chased by one of our dwarves. That was fun.

7th of Opal
I'm just writing here to say that nothing interesting has happened since the last time I wrote here. So... well, the well is still almost done, the ballistas are still almost built, and... that's about it, really.

13th of Opal
OOC: Well, this is... interesting. My dwarf got possessed. I guess I'll just carry on as normal... we'll see how that goes.

19th of Opal
Wow, these guys are breeding like rabbits. Three babies have been born this week.

21st of Opal
OOC: My dwarf began his construction. I guess it will be something extra valuable, since he got three platinum/gold bars and one cut platinum 'gem'.

23rd of Opal
I remembered to write about the well. It got completed some time ago. Also, all three ballistas have been built. We still don't have any bolts yet, but I'll try to sort that out.

25th of Opal
OOC: My dwarf finished his construction, a floodgate, so I can go back to writing from his perspective now. Phew.

Also, I think it's my most valuable artifact yet, at 148800☼.

28th of Opal
Argh! Please everyone, brew those plump helmets!

19th of Obsidian
The ballistas are finished, I am currently building some stockpiles to hold their ammo. I test fired one of them, and it worked perfectly!

28th of Obsidian
Another ambush! Alright, I hope I'll be finished with this soon. Our soldiers are mostly unarmed, but there aren't a lot of goblins. Worst case scenario, I lock the doors and no goblin gets in. However, that would likely involve the loss

of our entire military, so I really hope it won't be necessary.

They killed KuatYards! Nooo!

2nd of Granite
Alright, so this time, things weren't as good as last time.

Four dwarves were killed, including KuatYards and our legendary dwarf, Momuz Kollogem. I leave the fortress two days too late because of this, leaving the overall mood understandably lower as before.

And the save is here: with ASCII graphics, with Ironhand's graphics.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
hey fellas, im trying out this DF game

can you reccomend a good graphic/tile pack? im curently downloading the phoebus pack, owing to good praise it has recieved, any other suggestions?

thanks

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
NOOOOOO!!!!! WHY ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Get the lazy newb pack:

Basic
Advanced

Ironhand is more utility, phoebus is more artsy... or elven... darn tree huggers...

I guess I could be 'reborn' in with the next migrant wave... train a new dwarf as a craftsman...

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
hey fellas, im trying out this DF game

can you reccomend a good graphic/tile pack? im curently downloading the phoebus pack, owing to good praise it has recieved, any other suggestions?

thanks

I'd personally recommend Ironhand's graphics set - it not only looks good, but it's also easy on the eyes, and it's easy to tell what things are. It's not being updated by the original creator though - the last update by him was for 34.07 or 34.08, I think - but it's been updated for the last version by a fan.

Also, I'd recommend The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress, it's how I, and many others, learned to play.

Back on topic, I don't have time today to update the log either, but I think (read: hope) I'll do it tomorrow.

Also, Izack, does the save file work? I've had a little bit of trouble and just want to make sure, since you haven't posted anything about having started playing.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, Izack, does the save file work? I've had a little bit of trouble and just want to make sure, since you haven't posted anything about having started playing.
I can't test thoroughly at the moment because in a few minutes I'll be running Ubuntu, but yes, the save file appears to work. Great work on the fortress. :D

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I can't test thoroughly at the moment because in a few minutes I'll be running Ubuntu
But Dwarf Fortress runs just fine on Ubuntu (natively). :p

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I can't test thoroughly at the moment because in a few minutes I'll be running Ubuntu, but yes, the save file appears to work. Great work on the fortress. :D

Alright, it's probably OK then - I played it with Ironhand's graphics set, and I converted it back to ASCII afterwards and I was fearing I might have ruined the entire year.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You better watch out with those valuable masterpieces... Tends to attract teh armies of doom! :p

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
just got the hang of the basic controls and fortress management, at least enough to know that i need to really bring some livestock when i try to start... and woodcutters arent any use without axes (my bad...)

was anyone else amazed by the sheer depth of simulation here? each dwarf is programmed with a personality almost too big to fit on screen! and the complexity (or at least it seems complex at the moment) of making finished goods... metalcrafting is still out of my reach (burning wood, to burn the product of it, to make one type of bar, to smelt with another set of bars to make your first steel bar, to give to your weaponsmith/metalcrafter to make a single metal good? and dont even get me started on finding and harnessing magma, lava channels are just asking for some burned shorties)

however, the stereotypical stubborn industrious dwarves are god fun to watch... maybe once ive got these university assignments out of the way i can make a fortress that will last more than a year before i mess things up :p

thanks for showing me this great game!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But Dwarf Fortress runs just fine on Ubuntu (natively). :p

What I meant was: I'll be running Ubuntu off of a LiveCD, so no access to files on the HDD or Internet. Should have said that in the first place I suppose. :p

In any case, excellent overseeing, Rtyh-12. Shame about Kuat, though.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
Just give me a classic dwarven burial and I'll be happy... Gold plated Room, Platinum Masterwork statues of me, a granite coffin on a raised platform flanked by Diamonds the size of a dwarf...

No that's probably a little too expensive, You get the idea, big memorial for me...