OFMM-1 Mission Thread - Scenario is Posted.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Mission Name: OFMM-1

CDR: dgatsoulis
Backup CDR: Pipcard

Description:

This mission will take the satellite delivered from OFMM-P1 and launch it into a lunar orbit. The mission will test out the communications facilities at wideawake as well as the experimental satellite and our delivery capabilities. The satellite will launch on a Neptune rocket into an Earth parking orbit then be boosted to lunar orbit. Mission parameters to follow soon.

If there any question or problems with this mission please post them here.

CDR and Backup CDR please report in and confirm that you are ready and able to fly this mission. Mission start date will be a real world date of NET January 21st 2012.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
CDR reporting. Ready and able to fly the mission.

Our friends at the Italian forum did a magnificent job at designing and making the Neptune spacecraft for Orbiter. I must admit that I had never flown one of the OFI rockets before, simply because I didn't think I'd like them. I was SO wrong!
After a couple of launches with the Nep, I went on to try out the Jarvis and the Quasar... they were simply breathtaking! A great big thanks to the OFI for all the hard work.

The first thing that should be addressed is which version of the rocket are we going to use?
I understand that we will probably get a great discount from OFI, but I think that we need to use the one that's "right for the job". The Neptune 1b with Fregat looks like an overkill for this mission. You can easily place more than 10 tons of payload into lunar orbit. The DSCS weighs about 1/4 of that.

After achieving LEO, you need roughly 4200 m/s of dv to place something in lunar orbit.
The DSCS payload already has ~3100 m/s of dv to work with. But that's at a cost. It will take almost half an hour of continuous thrust, just to get 800 m/s of dv out of it. Not a deal-braker, but it certainly makes the mission much more interesting.

My questions to the management are these:
1.What's the target altitude and inclination of the payload's lunar orbit?
2.Should the fuel of the payload be considered as usable for the mission, or is it just for station-keeping?

Answering those questions will make the choice of the "right for the job" version of the rocket much easier.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
CDR and Backup CDR please report it and confirm that you are ready and able to fly this mission. Mission start date will be a real world date of NET January 21st 2012.

Ok, it looks like we need a new backup CDR for this mission as Pipcard has failed to report in as requested and is being pulled from the mission.

Scenarion will still go up this weekend but in the meantime if someone else wants to backup dgatsoulis please let me know.

---------- Post added at 07:19 ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 ----------

1.What's the target altitude and inclination of the payload's lunar orbit?
2.Should the fuel of the payload be considered as usable for the mission, or is it just for station-keeping?

Answering those questions will make the choice of the "right for the job" version of the rocket much easier.

1. 600km-ish

2. usable for the mission. The satellite only needs to stay in orbit for 2 weeks ish for testing to confirm its good to go for Mars.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't notice that I needed to report in. Backup commander reporting in, unless you found a new one.

And if you already dropped me off the mission, that's okay. I don't think that the main commander won't be able to complete this mission (notice the double negative). I'll remember to report in when it's time for OFMM-10.

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's all this then? I'm new and uninitiated to what OFMM is.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Oh, I didn't notice that I needed to report in. Backup commander reporting in, unless you found a new one.

In the first post here:

CDR and Backup CDR please report in and confirm that you are ready and able to fly this mission

After the issues with OFMM-P1 I need everyone to report in to missions, if they are not able to do that then I have to assume that they are not ready/not able to fly the mission.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So am I now off the mission? I was only one day late, and I thought I had to wait until OFMM-P1 was finished.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Mission Name: OFMM-1

CDR: dgatsoulis
Backup CDR: Pipcard
Mission start date will be a real world date of NET January 21st 2012.

We have already passed that date. I understand that the whole mission is up to the administration, that's why I signed up for it.
Is there a reason why the scenario hasn't been posted yet?

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
We have already passed that date. I understand that the whole mission is up to the administration, that's why I signed up for it.

Apparently, garyw has stepped down from OFMM. This has been said by him in O-F's ChatBox a few days ago, the exact message is in the archives somewhere.

Take this post with a pinch of salt as it is not completely verifiable information, but has a likely probability.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

NET=No Earlier Than and I've had more pressing matters such as finding a new job.

Apparently, garyw has stepped down from OFMM. This has been said by him in O-F's ChatBox a few days ago, the exact message is in the archives somewhere.

Take this post with a pinch of salt as it is not completely verifiable information, but has a likely probability.

I don't want to discuss that point here but it does seem that some people are not happy with how I've been running OFMM so rather than to cause any issues I'd rather step down from it.

I will be able to post OFMM-1's scenario tomorrow, after that I need to think about my involvement with OFMM.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
well...IMO i'd like gary to stay on OFMM, at least as an advisor of some kind. like i said in the 'box a few days ago: 'naysayers be damned' ...however RL takes priority over orbiter, good luck with everything gary, if you see your stepping down as what's best, then so be it. :tiphat:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'll see how things go with OFMM-1 but if anyone is interested in stepping up please let me know. Maybe a joint OFMM ownership with myself and one other would be an option?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score

Thank you very much for the clarification.

NET=No Earlier Than and I've had more pressing matters such as finding a new job.

:( I had no idea that you had such a problem. I really hope things turn out ok.

I don't want to discuss that point here but it does seem that some people are not happy with how I've been running OFMM so rather than to cause any issues I'd rather step down from it.

The people that were not happy with OFMM, after they had read the mission layout and roster, should had probably not gotten involved with OFMM.
Any Orbinaut with "intermediate" skills can make an Earth-Mars-Earth journey in Orbiter.
It's not about flying the missions, it's about the community and getting people involved. Especially new inexperienced Orbinauts.

I will be able to post OFMM-1's scenario tomorrow, after that I need to think about my involvement with OFMM.

Once the scenario is posted, I will fly it to the best of my ability... But this isn't about an Earth-Moon trip. I can do this with 18 ships simultaneously. The only reason I signed up for this, was because of the leadership and the mission plan. If you step down, I step down.

I'll see how things go with OFMM-1 but if anyone is interested in stepping up please let me know. Maybe a joint OFMM ownership with myself and one other would be an option?

I believe we already have a self-nominee, in the OFMM Mission Discussions thread.

Dickie

Wannabe Rocket Scientist
Donator
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I think a joint-OFMM management/ownership would be a better idea - not least because Gary had the idea and got the project going so I think it's only right that he should keep some involvement with the running of it.

Whatever happens I think it needs to be a group decision, and if it's decided that somebody is needed to help run the project then they need to have some experience behind them.

However, for the record I'd be happy with the status-quo - let's just go to Mars already! :cheers:

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can I serve as the comically inept tertiary backup commander?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Lets get back to OFMM-1 and stop other discussions. The scenario WILL be up tomorrow.