OFMM Development: Mars Ground Ops

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One question about the rigid surface modules, like the OSHV: Should they have a wheels like in the recent NASA designs or should they have a simpler landing gear that does not permit moving the modules after landing?

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
One question about the rigid surface modules, like the OSHV: Should they have a wheels like in the recent NASA designs or should they have a simpler landing gear that does not permit moving the modules after landing?

I think a many tonne lander would sink in soft areas if not given a very large number of wheels or wheeled surface area. The motors and power to push such a beast would be large and heavy. Probably better to leave it a simple style landing gear.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As far as I understand it, such vehicles have no propulsion, but get pulled slowly by rovers. Since we plan to have massive rovers this shouldn't be a problem. I would say it isn't a bad thing to have.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
As far as I understand it, such vehicles have no propulsion, but get pulled slowly by rovers. Since we plan to have massive rovers this shouldn't be a problem. I would say it isn't a bad thing to have.

Good thinking, I wouldn't have a problem with that method of moving.

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok im doing the dll for the hangar and i redid the mesh i will post the mesh will work with current texture maps so all we need is someone to texture

---------- Post added Jul 31st, 2010 at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Jul 30th, 2010 at 04:36 PM ----------

Ok the dll is working a coupple things to fix such as the touchdown points just checking up though

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hangar textures are almost done. Kinda wish I did them higher res, but oh well.
I textured the doors on the maps you gave me, but the textures aren't showing up on the model yet, so I can't tell if they work.
Also, it might be better if you turned it around, so that the doors face +Z, for when you place something inside it with the scenario editor. Azure lacks the ability to back up, so...

Also, are we naming it after you? W95 Hangar sounds good. :)

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
dont bother with them unless if you really want them i just wipped up some quick ones but feel free to replace [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4754"]AlexW95's Hangar[/ame]

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:facepalm:RIGHT as I finish them!
I actually do really want them, they actually had...textures.
attachment.php

You did something so that they don't work anymore (they show up black), but here they are anyway...tell me what I'm doing wrong:

Attachments

• w95hangar_azure.jpg
    w95hangar_azure.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:facepalm:RIGHT as I finish them!
I actually do really want them, they actually had...textures.
attachment.php

You did something so that they don't work anymore (they show up black), but here they are anyway...tell me what I'm doing wrong:

hmm same thing happend to me replace the textures with the old ones and it should work i will work on fixing this bug

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

OK river crab i fixed your textures here it is ( ps i hope it was ok i included them in the release version )[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4754"]AlexW95's Hangar[/ame][ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4754"][/ame]

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool, I'm in the project!

But, there's something wrong with the texture map...how did you compress it? it looks like this:
attachment.php

Which is obviously not right, compare to screenshot in my post above:

attachment.php

The doors look good, it's just the rest of it that's messed up. I'll try fixing it, so hold on.

Attachments

• W95texturekangarooup.jpg
    W95texturekangarooup.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 61

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Cool, I'm in the project!

But, there's something wrong with the texture map...how did you compress it? it looks like this:

Which is obviously not right, compare to screenshot in my post above:

The doors look good, it's just the rest of it that's messed up. I'll try fixing it, so hold on.

I think the texturemap between the mesh and the texture is messed up. So you will have to either replace the mesh with the map used by the texture or vice versa.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm, I checked it out and that's not the case...

Alexw95, Kaito said it had too many polygons, didn't he? :dry:
Of all the times to decide to reduce poly count!:facepalm:
The mesh is fine now, but now the textures you cut up and resized are totally out of whack!:facepalm:

Can you please do the UV maps the way you did them before? It looks like you tried to use UV mapper, as Bj said, and it's not working out.
You didn't line up the textures properly from my texture map, and they're being squished. It's already waay too lowres. Can you go back to the method you used to make the one on MediaFire? At least make it to scale like it was before.
:please:

I can see some good other uses for this hangar, so I really want to get it right. I'm thinking unpackable cargo for UCGO bases, or a static mesh for surface bases. Plus, I can remove the layer of Mars-coloured dirt and the solar panels- I saved everything.

So as Reimu would say,
UVマップちょうだいよUVマップ

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought of an interesting idea for UCGO cargoes: blocks of water ice. On Mars, water is going to have to be mined and transported, and the most expedient way of doing so would be shipping it as solid blocks, IMO.

Just trying to keep the threads warm for you, here. ;)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd be afraid of the ice blocks melting if they become heated through conduction of the transporter's waste heat. Also, they'd get dusty, and either way I'd be afraid of losing some tiny amount of water. Someone tell me if I'm wrong on these.

And yes, please be so kind as to sit on this forum so it incubates properly.
Methinks the fire is a bit cold. :rolleyes: