OFMM General Discussions

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
You can say that again. I may as well start learning C++ now, I may be of some use before we get off the ground! :lol:

Orbiter is exactly where I started learning C++

Really most of the programming that is listed as 'easy' is so easy it could really use the shuttlePB's source just with different variables. It really is that easy. The other ones, not so much but we will get to those in time.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some critical questions:

Do we have any server or place for storing larger PDF documents?

Does any other spacecraft make use of a deep-throttleable methane/LOX engine than the Skycrane?

Do we have any Project Standards Document yet (aside of the wiki), that describes the parameters of all those interfaces and standard elements that we are going to use? For example the dimensions and capabilities of the Standard Berthing Port in the project?

Which simulation model do we use for the human astronauts? (Breathing, Sweating, etc, resistance to accelerations).

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Do we have any server or place for storing larger PDF documents?

Other than here on OF or MediaFire? I want to buy a web host soon that has FTP. (Not for this but for personal & other) But where would it be going with this?

Does any other spacecraft make use of a deep-throttleable methane/LOX engine than the Skycrane?

I know the Nerva2 at least in Orbiter simulates using a throttleable control, is that the same as deep-throttleable? Anyway, I think nuclear propellant rocket stages would be throttleable.

Do we have any Project Standards Document yet (aside of the wiki), that describes the parameters of all those interfaces and standard elements that we are going to use? For example the dimensions and capabilities of the Standard Berthing Port in the project?

Wiki is not really up to date so much,

I am working on the reference which will include all specifications in this project. Though I haven't actually chosen the sizes or perimeters of anything. We can discuss the parameters and specs so that it will limit the number of revisions for the reference.

As for the dimensions of the docking ports,

Which simulation model do we use for the human astronauts? (Breathing, Sweating, etc, resistance to accelerations).

Whichever you want :thumbup:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Alright everyone, one or two specifications that needs worked on.

I have a few things worked out already, but it is open to discussion.

-MTV
length
number of storing pylons

-OSHV
habitable height (not the vessel itself): 2.13m
habitable area: 110.32 m^3 personal area: 6.90 m^3 work area: 55.21 m^3
food: 936 kg 3.34 m^3
O2: 1195.2 kg / 1.048 m^3
N2: 500 kg / 0.619 m^3
water: 5083.2 kg 5.19 m^3
number of occupants: 8
Number of trash container spaces:8

-General
Standard docking port size:
Standard Launch vehicle: (Aries or SideMountHLV)
Variance -determines MTV length:
Rad/sec (RPM): 1RPM or less
First Launch date: (pretend 2020, in orbiter: 1970-1990)
Mars transfer burn date:
Return date:

Target landing site:

Orbit inclination (Earth):
Orbit LAN (Earth):
Orbit height (Earth):
Orbit Eccentricity (Earth): > .03

Orbit inclination (Mars):
Orbit LAN (Mars):
Orbit height (Mars):
Orbit Eccentricity (Mars): > .03

Earth orbit should align with the departure on the set date, as should the Mars orbit. The Mars orbit should also align with the target landing site.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The trash containers are the ones from UCGO? You might want to change the weight if needed.

For docking port I'm leaning towards APAS or something similar, it's pretty standard and can ease modeling and logistics because it's the same on both sides. Only problem is, it might be too small to move some racks and stuff through.

For launch vehicle, did you mean Ares, not Aries? For stuff too big for the Sidemount, I want to say Jupiter III-X or Jupiter V-X. Are we confident on the Sidemount being ready in time...never mind. :dry:

Why are we pretending 2020? Maybe I should know this, but what kind of transfer are we using? Here is a chart for Earth-Mars and Mars-Earth Hohmann transfer windows. Kind of rough.

The inclination I think we should decide according to our landing site. So...add that to the list.

Lets face it, things are going slow now, but don't go Alan Smithee on us, Bj! After OFMM lite G1 is finished we will hopefully get more interest. It's already proven that we have willing pilots. :salute:

Columbia42

Reaction score
As far as launch vehicles are concerned, I think we've narrowed it down to 2 options for cargo launches and 2 options for crew launches.

Cargo:
1) Ares V
2) Sidemount HLV

Crew:
1) Ares I
2) Space Shuttle

If we use the space shuttle, we could probably cut down on the number of launches needed therefore I vote for that. (Three Ares V launches would still be required to launch NERVA 2 + Droptanks).

As for launch dates, there was quite a long discussion about that but since I don't know the specifics of why the dates were chosen, I will trust the decision that was made by people who know more about that topic than I do.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just a random pointless update:
We're not dead. ...Well, I'm not, anyway. :rolleyes:

I've been slowly working my way through a flightplan which I'm doing up myself, using the meager experience I've been amassing since last February, and which grows daily (tri-hourly, to be precise.) Don't expect updates in the near future...heck, don't expect updates at all, and you may be pleasantly surprised someday.

Well, I have personal projects to attend to presently, so I'm considering this a backburner thing right now (which is funny coming from me, who has never published an addon.)

Whenever it's done, it'll pop up on Orbithangar. Right now it's divided into several components:
PDF file outlining the mission, the materials, concepts, feasibility, etc. etc.
Files for NotesMFD composing a step-by-step guide to the whole affair from the Orbinaut's perspective, from launch to wheel-stop/splashdown.
Three custom surface bases by me (in development...no peeking!)
Probe permitting, a vessel or two, or at least modifications of existing vessels if the authors allow it.
Comprehensive mass of scenarios.

:hailprobe:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Thanks, Izack. If you need some help don't hesitate to ask. I am far from swamped at the moment and have a sizeable amount of free time to do whatever.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Reporting! :salute:
Well, you already know from IRC, but thought I should make it known to everyone else that I'm still following. I plan to do some graphics on Tuesday...actually, I already finished some graphics on a past Tuesday. ;)

Also, either there's a mole in the REVIO team, or you're psychic! Probably the latter. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update:
Flight plans and dates are more or less all done up using IMFD. I would prefer TransX, since it seems to be the more commonly used instrument, but alas, I don't use it, so that's what the NotesMFD files are for. I'm doing those next.

Custom meshes for the surface bases are...failing horribly. Will have to work on those 3D skills... :facepalm:

The three surface bases will be on Earth, Phobos and Mars, and will take advantage of Orbiter's 'PERIOD' parameter for surface bases, meaning the bases will change over the course of the mission. For Mars and Phobos, that means there will be nothing there when you first land except a target for MapMFD (assuming you land on time!) but progressively more as time passes and the habitats expand. The Earth base will be set up for launches during the departure phase, and for landings and recoveries when you come home.

I really hope it works out. :hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well if yours does not work out, I still fail finding the time making meshes here.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, I can help there! My mesh skills are getting better, and I can certainly find time to use them for the sake of OFMM, if not for the sake of a friend. If you need any help, it shouldn't be hard, since we're in close contact. ;)

I can hope, too... :hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
well, I still have not yet finished the meshes for the Skycrane (second version), I have a pretty lengthy PDF with text about design stuff and performance specs, but still no mesh.

It can be scaled up to any surface module size you need, currently I work with 6 m diameter, which is approximately Skylab's size, which appears pretty comfortable from inside. Also, the biconic shape is much more effective than the previous double cone design and much more realistic in terms of technological magic hidden in it.

Essentially, the aft truncated cone part contains a small insulated payload compartment with the crane mechanism, surrounded by four engine modules and methane tanks (self-pressurized), while the front cone contains the LOX tank. All electronics and stuff is in the central section. No docking port, it is berthed by an attachment plate in the aft end, between two engines.

Would not take that long for making a first primitive mesh from the calculations, but I fail finding the serenity for that... every time I try to divert energy, my bad conscience PMs me or posts in the Forum, under varying user names.

There is so much cool stuff waiting to be done with Orbiter, I think it could take me decades to do it all.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, I can help there! My mesh skills are getting better, and I can certainly find time to use them for the sake of OFMM, if not for the sake of a friend. If you need any help, it shouldn't be hard, since we're in close contact. ;)

I can hope, too... :hailprobe:
To the IRC channel! Awaaay! :cheers:
well, I still have not yet finished the meshes for the Skycrane (second version), I have a pretty lengthy PDF with text about design stuff and performance specs, but still no mesh.

It can be scaled up to any surface module size you need, currently I work with 6 m diameter, which is approximately Skylab's size, which appears pretty comfortable from inside. Also, the biconic shape is much more effective than the previous double cone design and much more realistic in terms of technological magic hidden in it.
Haven't really been thinking of the descent stage, but it will probably be done up or at least thought about this week. 6m diameter is plenty spacious enough. Right now it's a kitbashed ISS module with legs (hilarious to look at) but :probe: permitting there will be a Crab intervention here. Also, work will have to be done in materials strength, useable volume and all of that lovely technical stuff.

When you mentioned Skylab I imagined using an S-IVB with legs as a descent stage. Ludicrous, yes, but it brings to mind the wet-workshop idea, and if some external tanks/upper stages could be brought down and used as living space instead of jettisoned. But that I think would be a later revision. Best to get something releasable first.

Could I get any mass figures on the Skycrane? I don't remember if there were any posted before and I'm not keen on going back through all of this stuff. :hide:
If it is going to seriously be used I'll need to redo the flightplan including the additional mass. There are hundreds of m/s Dv to spare in the current one, so mass isn't much of an issue so far.
Would not take that long for making a first primitive mesh from the calculations, but I fail finding the serenity for that... every time I try to divert energy, my bad conscience PMs me or posts in the Forum, under varying user names.
Did any iterations of the conscience take a name starting with I? :shifty:

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well im up for some meshing texture and i could try write a dll