OFMM Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I could fly missions, if I'm permitted to use the DGIV. Could we use that as a fictional space craft?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
1. What role you would like in OFMM (planning, meshing, flying a mission, etc)
2. What experience you have flying in LEO, to Mars, etc.
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
4. Can you commit to something that will go on for several months?

1. I love flying and i could help in mission planning, launch windows and trajectories. I have descent texturing skills and can do some meshing.
2. I can pretty much fly any ship and any type of mission I am given. My favourites are dv budget solving and precision landings.
3. My main concern was if this would need a lot of new addons to be made, but it was answered a few posts above.
4. RL is always unpredictable, but I think i can commit to this. If something comes up, i'll make sure to notify the ones that need to be notified.
:cheers:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'd be happy helping with both flying missions and planning / coordinating missions if needed.
Plenty of experience in building stations in LEO and flying spacecraft to the other planets
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
Only major concern would be the project getting caught up in development hell, though this is fairly unlikely to happen if we're avoiding dedicated add-on development.
Absolutely, I should have at least a few hours a day free.

andochoa

Reaction score
1. Love Flying missions and can help in planning (surface or orbital structures prerequisites diagramation), still no meshing.
2. Plenty of experience achieving orbit with horizontal take-off winged vessels, and some with vertical launchers, and just two STS to ISS dockings (my installation got messy and thinking of a new install needs its own time). Aligning, synching, docking, LEO, GTO, GEO, TLI, TMI, and IMFD. Earth and Mars Atmo Reentry with low G's and Temp's.
3. a) Real Life intrusions into ours scheduled flights. b) Development Black Hole eating every mid to big sized projects.
4. Yes, having in mind RL irruptions, the long run is guaranteed.

Chub777

Reaction score

1. Flying a mission and possibly ground work (setting up the base, etc)

2. I'm constructing a station in LEO right now (and I'm part of OFSS III) so I guess I have a fair bit of experience in LEO flights. I can fly to the Moon and back (but I can't do free-returns yet) and I've flown successfully to Mars twice (but I haven't made it back to Earth...)

3. Earth Orbit Insertion. My periapsis is always ~30,000 km above Earth. This means I use a lot of fuel bringing the craft home...and there's also re-entry.

4. Yes and with the holidays coming, I could fly almost anytime I want.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm capable of doing most things flying-wise by virtue of "have done at least twice". However I have so ittle time to play Orbiter (or indeed develop for it) that those skills are becoming somewhat blunt.

However. planning missions and writing reports are things to do while let down by public transport. Those I can do fairly readily.

In terms of free time; I have significantly less than none at all. Any time I get on the PC is snatched away from other things and is something I'm not getting to do much. This means that on a day-by-day basis I can't really commit to being active, but in mostly independant "take this away and work on it when you get chance" ways I should be capable of putting my hands in here.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1. I'm up for making meshes and textures, doing graphics and logo design, as well as flying docking, rendezvous, and orbital ops missions.

2. I don't have much experience with transfers, but I can manage rendezvous and docking reasonably easily. I have some experience station building.

3. Having the time to do it, and overcomplication. The failure of the previous OFMM was the lack of time of those capable of doing the large amount of development we had put before ourselves. Because the logistics were so complex and demanded for all-new addons, there was a lack of talent. Stagnation is also something to worry about; this can be prevented with good organisation, and I think the ISA-style structure will help a lot in eliminating this problem.
Some addons that have come out since then, like the Mars DRM, may help in minimizing development. But that's a discussion for a later thread.

4. Yes, especially over the holidays. RL comes first of course, but I can make time (who needs sleep anyway? :p)

And thanks, Gary, for your interest and leadership. It's very generous of you to take an organisational role, and volunteer your time and effort toward a project in which others have shown some interest but no investment. :tiphat:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
1. I am willing to create Lego dioramas of key events of the mission

2. I have a reasonable range of pieces that should cover any situation that I don't already have a model for. I have a number of models for my own space diorama.

3. I am worried about not having the right piece for the vehicle or having to disassemble a model just to show a point.

4. As I am on holidays, I can spend a reasonable amount of time constructing and photographing said dioramas.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
  1. Rostering/scheduling etc (whatever annoying admin jobs people can't be bothered doing)
  2. Zip, nil, nada, nothing.
  3. Lack of motivation and mid-term goals.
  4. yes/no/don't know - with me, who knows when I'll land in hospital next!
Whilst I don't do much in orbiter - I feel that the project could benefit from a "mascot" i.e. someone to keep the motivation going and keep everyone sane (ish).

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
  1. Rostering/scheduling etc (whatever annoying admin jobs people can't be bothered doing)
  2. Zip, nil, nada, nothing.
  3. Lack of motivation and mid-term goals.
  4. yes/no/don't know - with me, who knows when I'll land in hospital next!
Whilst I don't do much in orbiter - I feel that the project could benefit from a "mascot" i.e. someone to keep the motivation going and keep everyone sane (ish).

:cheers: Good luck with that!

"Whatever annoying admin jobs people can't be bothered doing"

:lol:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can I do the mission patches as well? (it's relevant as I want it to be a part of my role in this project)

If so, people can PM me about the details of their patch. It's like Eli13.

I love mission patches.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Can I do the mission patches as well? (it's relevant as I want it to be a part of my role in this project)

If so, people can PM me about the details of their patch. It's like Eli13.

What missions? When did I put the mission list up? That's right. I never did.

This thread is for ROLL CALL ONLY.

We are NOT going to get ahead of things and start working on patches for missions that haven't even been created yet.

So. Roll Call only please. Missions later. Patches a distant third. Very distant.

Let me explain why - This thread should concetrate on one thing only. If it doesn't it'll get sidetracked and before long the entire OFMM will enter a discussion/development/mission patch hell from which it will never recover. I'm happy to arrange everything but to do that I'm going to ensure that threads don't get sidetracked and rerailed. This might sound harsh but if I don't we'll end up with a comittee of discussions rather than a solid set of missions.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What missions? When did I put the mission list up? That's right. I never did.

This thread is for ROLL CALL ONLY.

We are NOT going to get ahead of things and start working on patches for missions that haven't even been created yet.

So. Roll Call only please. Missions later. Patches a distant third. Very distant.

Let me explain why - This thread should concetrate on one thing only. If it doesn't it'll get sidetracked and before long the entire OFMM will enter a discussion/development/mission patch hell from which it will never recover. I'm happy to arrange everything but to do that I'm going to ensure that threads don't get sidetracked and rerailed. This might sound harsh but if I don't we'll end up with a comittee of discussions rather than a solid set of missions.

Thank you.

I'm sorry. I just wanted to add something to my future role in the project (I thought that's what this roll call was about, to determine who's going to work on the project and what role they want in OFMM). I understand that there are no missions yet, and I don't need to make a mission patch before each mission is launched (to avoid "discussion/development/mission patch hell").

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, IMHO, Patches don't fly missions. I see little against having suddenly patches when we have missions, but missions must be first. (I wouldn't rant about having a mission then).

I would suggest only one kind of add-on making, if it can be done in a matter of less than 14 days: Have special payloads that can be transported by UCGO or for larger things, by a stock Shuttle-A.

But I don't feel like we need much there. Maybe a weather station would be a great payload for some missions. The existing payloads should do well for a first run.

And please: No XR-5. We would be done in a single mission then.

As additional roll call from my side: I can offer assistance for OrbiterWiki documentation. Maybe I can tell tomorrow, when I will have Internet again, but from Sunday on, I will be most offline for a short time.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Also, IMHO, Patches don't fly missions. I see little against having suddenly patches when we have missions, but missions must be first.

Yes and they will be. To be honest I don't much care for patches. If people want a patch then thats fine. This is about missions to Mars, not about patches.

I would suggest only one kind of add-on making, if it can be done in a matter of less than 14 days: Have special payloads that can be transported by UCGO or for larger things, by a stock Shuttle-A.

As I said above, if is on OH it's in scope for the missions (which I only have in draft and might post next week). No single mission will wait for a development of something though. That way is a sure way into development hell.

But I don't feel like we need much there. Maybe a weather station would be a great payload for some missions. The existing payloads should do well for a first run.

Maybe it would. If someone wants to add one to Orbit Hangar then it can be used for a mission but I don't want to put the whole lot on hold for a mesh that might never be finished and at best will be used by a UMMU for as long as it takes to press 'j' (or 'k').

And please: No XR-5. We would be done in a single mission then.

Would we? That's hard to say without knowing several things:

1. The missions (How, why, when).
2. The mode of operations (What methods are we using to get to mars).
3. The method of Mars visit (ISRU, Quick Sortie, long term).

I really didn't want to go into discussions over those three as I was planning on seperate threads for them. My idea was to have one week on Roll Call, One week on mission discussions, one week on vehicle discussions then fly the missions but I see that no matter how many times I try to keep to that plan people want to get ahead and start doing things now.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
To bring things back on topic...

1. Whatever you think I would be able to help with. I can't mesh or anything, but I'm more than willing to fly or help with the planning.

2. Been doing stuff in LEO for years, been all over the solar system with IMFD. Previously an OFSS 1 pilot.

3. More than anything, my personal life may shift my availability to odd hours. I'll still be able to fly and plan missions, but between both jobs, my son, and other assorted goings on, I may not be able to even get to my computer until 11 PM or later CST (05:00 UTC).

4. Of course. Even with odd availability, I'll still be able to dedicate some time to OFMM for the duration.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I think it would be great to make the first space station in mars orbit. Ship supplies to mars and then assemble launchers to specifically launch from a station on mars surface.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it would be great to make the first space station in mars orbit. Ship supplies to mars and then assemble launchers to specifically launch from a station on mars surface.

As garyw has told me, this thread is for roll call only. The mission planning comes later.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
1. The missions (How, why, when).
2. The mode of operations (What methods are we using to get to mars).
3. The method of Mars visit (ISRU, Quick Sortie, long term).

Well, you can haul enough material with a single XR-5, to assemble three or four Mars bases. It is no challenge then. The Shuttle-A could land about 120 tons of cargo on Mars, that is still a lot, but would not mean that the number of missions gets too low.

I know that there can be factors for still having more flights. But how much stuff do you want to leave on Mars and how much time should then be spend for assembly on the ground? Not all players will like playing UMMU chess.

Status
Not open for further replies.