OFSS IV-discussion thread

Castor

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm sorry but I don't have much free time here either, but I would like to volunteer for a mission. Are missions being assigned yet?

I'm sorry but all the missions have been assigned. If you'd like, you can act as backup for a mission by posting here.

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Haven't heard much in a while here, what mission is currently 'being flown'?

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It appears that Pipcard has completed #5, so PhantomCruiser should now fly #6.

Except that there was no official communicatoin from our Flight Director (Castor) on the matter.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually, Artlav is supposed to de-orbit the XR2 first.

That's strange, my mission is still listed as being on "standby". I thought Castor would've noticed the completed mission scenario as well as the mission write-up by now. But he did notice my in-character letter (and gave me a thank for it).

His last activity on the forum was on July 10/11 (depending on your timezone), so maybe he has real life duties to attend to, which is okay. Or maybe not, and that is still okay.

Last edited:

Castor

Reaction score
I'm extremely sorry for not being able to get to this earlier. Last Saturday, I was driving home, when a semi rammed into my car as it was crossing an intersection. Fortunately, I escaped with just a pelvic fracture (and one broken arm). I will get back to OFSS as soon as I'm discharged.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Holy smokes Castor. Get well soon dude! Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Man... Some people will do anything to get out of work...

Just kidding dude, sounds like you were very lucky in that collision as it could have been much worse. Get well soon, we can wait.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Get well, Castor.
May there be no lasting injury from this.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh that's terrible. Get well!

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Been trying out the missions. Mission 1 was pretty trivial, though fun to watch the launch. I'm currently working through mission 2; doing reasonably well so far. (I left the Themis attached for the first dock to help with visual orientation.) Love the Red Sea in the background of this shot.

lXhd6py.png

I noticed that you could dump about 40% of the scram fuel before takeoff and save yourself some weight (though there's plenty of fuel for the mission.)

Curious if it's normal for the RMS arm to grab the center of mass of the object instead of the exterior of its mesh. It does make it easier to manipulate, but hurts my eyes when it passes through the surface.

I had a curious situation where the node I attached docked to the core module fine, but then kept slowly slipping through the mesh of the core over the next few minutes. I used scenario editor to un-dock and re-dock it and it's fine now.

I did some orbital assembly in KSP. This is actually pretty similar. Fun stuff; thanks again for putting this together Castor!

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Been trying out the missions. Mission 1 was pretty trivial, though fun to watch the launch. I'm currently working through mission 2; doing reasonably well so far.

Good news that you're getting through the missions ok.

Curious if it's normal for the RMS arm to grab the center of mass of the object instead of the exterior of its mesh. It does make it easier to manipulate, but hurts my eyes when it passes through the surface.

Yeah - it's normal, and yeah, assume there's some magic going on there when the arm digs through the million $$ skin of those modules (and when the arm comes back up leaving no hole)!

I had a curious situation where the node I attached docked to the core module fine, but then kept slowly slipping through the mesh of the core over the next few minutes. I used scenario editor to un-dock and re-dock it and it's fine now.

I wonder if this was an orientation issue? I've always wondered if the port rotation alignment has to be good for a docking, the same as a vessel docking. Good use of the Scenario Editor to complete the dock though.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Finished mission 2. Every time I'd add a module to the first node, it kept shifting through the core mesh again, and I'd have to undock it and redock it. But, no problem, got the station finished.

I de-orbited the XR5 completely unpowered (using Aerobrake), hit the runway a little fast and broke off the landing gear (minor crew injuries), but otherwise everyone's fine. Gotta remember to flare a little bit more on the landing. (Might also have helped to dump my main fuel in orbit, but I wanted a reserve in case I undershot the landing site.)

mQfHv6Z.png

I've discovered the key to non-spherical gravity is to just wait until the last minute (the preceding orbit or node) to make adjustments.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Nice! You hit the runway! I usually dump most of my fuel shortly after the deorbit burn, that helps a bit, and the XRs can glide quite a bit. I can't count how many times I've broke the gear, all I can say is practice-practice-practice.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's the current status on the OFSS IV project? Who's waiting for what?

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think everyone's waiting for Castor to come back. Or for Castor telling us that we can continue without him for now.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OFSS IV Comm Check...

Hoping this project isn't dead :(

Last edited: