Project Olympus Star Cruiser

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
vn28ixv56bnyb696g.jpg

Start this thread to post pictures of the development of my ship Olympus Star Cruiser.
Currently only is a SketchUp model unfinished, but I hope to finish it, and if I can, make it an add-on for Orbiter. In fact I have received some tips to make the conversion, but I have not implemented yet.
About two years ago I tried to convert the SketchUp model in a add-on (and make it work with Vinka's Spacecraft), and only got a model without colors or textures.

The line to follow is:
1. Finish designing the 3D model.
2. Draw my own textures (achieved in part with good results).
3. Finding ways to successfully convert .skp .msh model and textures to the correct format (dds).
4.-If the result is good, and of the best quality that allow me my knowledge, publish it in Orbiter Hangar.
(cough)dominate the world(cough):rofl:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
First textures

I'm a little slow with the progress of finishing the 3D model, because I have so much schoolwork. I made some textures for the interior, they are not very good but I'll keep trying to improve and make them look good.

First I'll draw textures throughout the interior, and then the outside, which currently looks a gray color.
yrr56858h5zw24b6g.jpg

5p17p0zkxo3xpdp6g.jpg

hakt25u0wkak6xm6g.jpg

50tnpqf98srhp896g.jpg

94agqoy24fduu9m6g.jpg

64b9gl50eeb4xsy6g.jpg

This infographic shows the Star Cruiser Olympus with some of the features that I mention in the story/novel I'm writing.
b63t6l60dphikgw6g.jpg

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Finally, (I think) I finished the spherical section of the ship and the cylindrical section that connects to the largest segment of the ship.

The idea is to model the complete ship (interior, details, etc) and then get the parts of the ship that I need for Orbiter (cabin and exterior), because I will not be able to include all details of the ship in Orbiter, because I dont know how programming a ship in Orbiter, I will have to create in Vinka Spacecraft, or better yet, Generic Vessel:thumbup:.
From what I have understood, I can not make an explorable virtual interior in Vinka Spacecraft. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The original project developed, include sounds and voices from the computer (something like the announcer of the Arrow Freighter), but due to the above, I will release a first version in Vinka or Generic Vessel (probably choose the second option, but I dont know their documentation).

The day that I know how programming, I do the full version, including: explorable interior, voices of the onboard computer, various skins, interactive displays (such as Arrow Freighter), UCGO, Payload Manager (to carry all payloads), etc.

----------------------------------------

Leaving aside all this boring text, it is time for the screenshots.
ehwamsemp46nfrw6g.jpg

z7l9awz2fof8b896g.jpg

4c7988jnyiw8gxd6g.jpg

View of command bridge and insignia of the Federation of Andromeda.
8ardqmr09tprkc06g.jpg

1vdd188lmc4q2q86g.jpg

93z9rwn05nxazdd6g.jpg

6ii4g5wy270p3ll6g.jpg

The server room of ALU (disco hall?).
61k1r8j01ck5hgf6g.jpg

banp69aayzxofwf6g.jpg

do89fr489i0cqi86g.jpg

959k631ml1tdef26g.jpg

op1b38x7o77cjje6g.jpg

The onboard computer is called ALU stands for:

Automatically Logical Unit

in a involuntary game of words, this refer that the logical unit (or drive) is logic in an automatic manner, ie manually does not work.:huh:
In principle it would be a reference to the arithmetic logic unit of processors, but etc.

The idea is to make a system that indicate the status of the ship, voice announcements report the activities of the ship (such as Arrow Freighter), and some autopilots (such as DG IV). For now it's decor, but still, some sounds will be included in the first version (non-DLL version).

Previous model (2009-2010).
mb11l8ska22hl4t6g.jpg

Current model.
jp5426bx7xy7nb76g.jpg

The following end, is the largest part of the ship.

Last edited:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Adding and improving some details: hover engines, cargo bays, main gate (crew and passengers). Also added a distinctive tail (or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fin_flash"]Fin flash[/ame], I dont know what it's called in English).
uca6a63982c2clm6g.jpg

xo9jswf9yu883486g.jpg

gafc4t33v7dq1v36g.jpg

I improved the gateway for smaller ships, maybe they are docking ports?
bjso0befq75nsb86g.jpg

55d0d0e8hf8kllu6g.jpg

Basically this is a process of improvement of the original model, which I did when I was not much knowledge in SketchUp. For example, I learned to make textures specially adapted to a particular part of the ship (a screen, for example).
This process I'm enjoying it a lot, and I hope the results are of quality (or at least as best I can).

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Wow, this thread already has cobwebs:hunter: due to so long without writing.

Well, after a long time not drawing anything to Olympus, I thought to combat boredom, drawing a auxiliary vessel. Due Olympus Star Cruiser is a official ship of state of the State of Federation of Andromeda, would need custody.
xxwzl7zsnidlrcs6g.jpg

I also searched Intenet tutorials to learn how to use Blender (for the conversion sketchup-> blender-> Orbiter MSH), and I found this tutorial series in Spanish will also be very useful to the Spanish-speaking community:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVnqjpSwnYEctW4RYJ70WZKte-tcEwwiO

I plan to design, make the ship, and encode the ship, which, at first would be (for testing purposes) made in the Orbiter's native format ScriptVessel. When new versions of OrbiterSound and Ummu are released for Orbiter next release, I will seriously start experimenting with programming.
For this, I found this course of C ++, very easy to understand, which is in Spanish.
http://c.conclase.net/curso/index.php?cap=000#inicio

Here are the screenshots, any appreciation will be grateful.
aeokubsxxt3j64t6g.jpg

o4doj62mbygqrpo6g.jpg

6u8zb9okuorlncd6g.jpg

44f27v5tvbin7m76g.jpg

upojvvevmy4v9cn6g.jpg

w8kn0cpyrtrqs416g.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 ----------

Here are the first tests.
qd59onh8od59mgl6g.jpg

7se0ynl337888606g.jpg

pv549xsl6e4efl96g.jpg

I will organize myself, and I'll start first drawing and exporting the simplest components, to better learn the use of the models and textures in Orbiter, and create better meshes (without wrong textures, wrong reflections, etc.)

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
New organization of my developments

Due I do not want to flood the forum's main page, posting in this thread information that could be unhelpful, due I post many small details, and few concrete advances (new textures, small corrections in 3D models), I'll post hereinafter all the details of this project in my blog, and I'll post in this thread, only the models that work in Orbiter.
Once I finish the development, and has learned enough, I will publish a manual about how to build a ship in SketchUp and export it to Orbiter:thumbup:.

Here are the latest screenshot of the launchpad for the Olympus.
3a4qh0mevhhwoox6g.jpg

lfu0x5d003ipdxu6g.jpg

I have to correct the touchdown points in the CFG file (for this little model I will use ScriptVessel).