General Question Orbiter 2009 + Vista & Win7

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Is there any information if the Orbiter 2009 is going to be compatible with Windows Vista?

If so, it would also be compatible with Windows 7, which is my basic interest.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Orbiter 2009 runs on win vista.
I have windows 7, but don't tried orbiter 2009 yet. But I think it must be also compatible.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I run both the 2006 edition and 2009 beta on Win 7 RC1 with no issues noted. Everything is stable.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
See this thread for detailed information about orbiter on Vista.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Yes, they all work on Windows 7. But you don't get as good a framerate on vista/7 as you do on XP. Apart from that, it's all absolutely fine

Moonwalker

Reaction score
It does not work for me. It did not in Vista and it also does not in Windows 7. The field of view is distorted and graphics look blurred. No matter how I change the field of view, it remains distorted and below 50° vehicles become invisible anyway.

This is already a different computer than I used for Vista a while ago. But the problems remain. The same problems happen as well while running Orbiter 2009.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
It does not work for me. It did not in Vista and it also does not in Windows 7. The field of view is distorted and graphics look blurred. No matter how I change the field of view, it remains distorted and below 50° vehicles become invisible anyway.

This is already a different computer than I used for Vista a while ago. But the problems remain. The same problems happen as well while running Orbiter 2009.

Maybe it is a problem with graphic driver.
Have you said the right device in orbiter launch pad?

Moonwalker

Reaction score
It does run perfectly in Windows XP but it did never run in Windows Vista and does not run in Windows 7. I tried everything. This has to be related to Windows/Orbiter rather than to hardware which anyway changes frequently in my case.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It does run perfectly in Windows XP but it did never run in Windows Vista and does not run in Windows 7. I tried everything. This has to be related to Windows/Orbiter rather than to hardware which anyway changes frequently in my case.
works-on-my-machine-starburst.png

I've been using Orbiter on Vista (64-bit) for over a year now and on Win7 (both 32 and 64) since January, and I've never had problems of the magnitude you talk about.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Works fine in win7 here too. The problem is defiantly something on your end.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been using Orbiter on Vista (64-bit) for over a year now and on Win7 (both 32 and 64) since January, and I've never had problems of the magnitude you talk about.

Agreed. Works fine in Win7 (although with a FPS drop).

Moonwalker

Reaction score
I have no FPS drops at all. It does not matter if I run something in Windows XP or Windows 7 :)

Anyway, no matter which Video setting I chose for Orbiter in Windows 7, I always get this as soon as I change my FOV (which causes the sky to "disappear"):

b14.jpg

Orbiter does work perfectly in Windows XP. But it did never work in Vista or Windows 7. And this is the second computer I use to try to run Orbiter in Windows 7.

Well, I get a new video card in about ten days from now (for the third time within years I tried to run Orbiter on Vista and now Windows 7). If Orbiter does not work properly in Windows 7 this time, well, then it is definately not something on my end. I have obsolutely not trouble at all using anything on Windows 7 I used on XP for years, especially MSFS, X-Plane and Space Shuttle Mission 2007, which all works just perfectly in Windows 7. The only thing that does not do so is Orbiter...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Orbiter works flawless on Vista and 7 for everyone but you.
Most likely it has nothing to do with what kind of hardware you have. So changing graphics cards like there is no tomorrow will not help and did not help so far. You should focus on proper driver installation procedures, runtime libaries orbiter needs, user rights management and finding out what the actual problem is by methodicaly changing aspects of your setup and analyzing your observations.

What has been the constant for a certain problem over a range of hardware? Is there some software that you always had installed?
Do other DirectX 7 programs exhibit the same symptoms? Comparing orbiter with programs that have nothing in common with it except that they run on the same OS and have a graphical output is rather pointless.

Happy Orbiting

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Orbiter works flawless on Vista and 7 for everyone but you.

I wouldn't be too sure if it works flawless for everyone regarding to 7 positive replies within this thread.

I still remember the Vista thread in the old Orbiter forums...

changing graphics cards like there is no tomorrow will not help and did not help so far.

I change my graphics card regularly (which to me means each 1 to 1,5 years at the latest) not because there is no tomorrow, but because graphics cards are from yesterday quite fast.

Nothing of my hardware passes the 2 years mark.

Comparing orbiter with programs that have nothing in common with it except that they run on the same OS and have a graphical output is rather pointless.

Well, Orbiter is the only trouble maker on both, Vista and Windows 7.

Agreed. Works fine in Win7 (although with a FPS drop).

Regarding Windows Vista, you wrote the following in the old Orbiter forums:

Aside from a significant FPS drop, I have been experiencing a problem myself. No atmosphere. The sky even while landed on the KSC runway is dark.
Did you find a solution? This is what I experienced in Vista and now I'm experiencing in Windows 7 as well.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

What is the drive path of your Orbiter installation?

I tried any path already. It does not change anything.