Software Orbiter 2010 working properly in Ubuntu Linux

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Just plain Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine?
No special gimmicks/tweaks?

I've written a little kind of guide help with the steps I followed to install Orbiter in Ubuntu (see post # 30). I don't know about tricks or programming, just what I did was install the programs and accessories needed to recreate an environment like Windows.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
I apologize for translation errors in this post:facepalm:. I'm not a native speaker of English.

Today I have made a test, to see how it worked Orbiter in Ubuntu / Linux.
The results of this test may vary from your Orbiter Windows experience, because Orbiter is not a native Linux application.

I made a small guide about how I am have installed Orbiter on my PC with Ubuntu. See post # 30.

The computer on which the test was performed has the following features:
Laptop EUROcase E4 MB3
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB
Screen resolution: 1366x768
GPU: Intel Graphics HD3000
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4
WINE: WINE 1.6.2

Default Orbiter / 25 - 14FPS
Not working specular water reflections
*LocalLightSources working properly, obviously #modifying the Orbiter.cfg#
*Some failures using keyboard keys in dialog boxes and function keys (R, T Warp, and a few others)
*A few failures at the end of simulation (returning to Orbiter's Launchpad).

Orbiter Sound
*3D sound is not working, you have to disable it to run the sound correctly
*Acceptable quality of sounds

Delta Glider
*All keys and buttons work in the cockpit
*No work the "view seats of passengers"
*No problems with animations (gear, airbrake, nose cone, etc.)

Atlantis
*Works the change of camera in the cockpit
*Works buttons CTRL+Space
*Works RMS

Delta Glider IV
*Works autopilots
*Works animations
Works settings ScenarioEditor (not works in D3D9 Client)
*Works UCGO and UMMU

Arrow Freighter
*Works the change of camera in the cockpit
*Animations work
*Works UCGO and UMMU

Orbiter with D3D9 / 45 - 50FPS
Works specular reflections from the water
Fail some options in ScenarioEditor
Fail SymbolicLinks
DragonFly Fails
Not works the Orbiter splash screen
*This feature also works in D3D9 Client.
#
martins said:
It may be that your graphics driver isn't reporting the maximum number of active lights correctly. (The "-1" may actually stand for 4294967295, only it was formatted as an int rather than unsigned int for output). If Orbiter is trying to allocate a buffer for 2^32-1 light sources, it will probably choke.

Try adding the following line to your orbiter.cfg:

Code:
MaxLights = 8

Screenshots [Click here]

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Do you use a laptop and have a secondary Nvidia chip? If so, try this:
https://blog.psy-q.ch/2013/07/nvidia-optimus-support-now-built-in-on-debian-testing/
Replace nvidia-glx with nvidia-driver and test with primusrun glxgears ... after downloading the mesa-utils package.

Afraid not. I have an Asus EeePC 1000H netbook; here is the lspci output:

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet (rev b0)

My CPU info:

Code:
(2) Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz

Orbiter ran like a champ on this netbook when I had XP on it, but I can't get it to go on either Mint 16 or 17 LTS. So bummed, but I had to get away from M$ OS churning and actually get things done with my netbook. If I could get Orbiter up and running on this machine my happiness would be complete.

Last edited:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
It's happening

Tested on Ubuntu 14.04 desktop KDE - Orbiter Beta r.34, Oct 11 2015 - D3D9 graphics client - ~50 FPS

8rgvj0ijsbodd016g.jpg

77g29wdz5z00od26g.jpg

I'm starting to try Orbiter Beta on Ubuntu Linux, configured in the way that I specified in the installation guide.
For now it looks good (screenshots using the client D3D9), but you can not enter the VC of DeltaGlider.

The next thing I'll do, is set Orbiter in a PlayOnLinux environment, to carefully review what works and what does not, and to use PlayOnLinux debugger to see clearly the bugs that prevent a good usability (open the virtual cockpit, etc).
I will also make an icon in SVG to improve the visual appearance and integration of Orbiter in Linux.:thumbup:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Looks great! Do you have an updated procedure for getting Orbiter 2016 working on Wine? I am back on Linux Mint again after 8 years and am on a different machine, so I hope things have improved since the last time I tried to use it.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Looks great! Do you have an updated procedure for getting Orbiter 2016 working on Wine? I am back on Linux Mint again after 8 years and am on a different machine, so I hope things have improved since the last time I tried to use it.
Today I plan to start experimenting (I have to test that all Orbiter works well) and then I will do the tutorial. I'm also very happy because on Linux I can export meshes from Blender to Orbiter...

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Holy smokes, I did it! I got Orbiter 2016 running in Linux Mint, and my Mirage 2000 add-on module works! I'm getting some strange graphics hits (random black squares popping up), but it otherwise works.

Screenshot at 2022-09-09 21-43-56.png
EDIT: Graphic hits go away when full screen as specified in the instructions. Behaves nicely. I see the missing HUD issue that @Matias Saibene is working on, will be interested to see what he comes up with. My engine addon has flags for autopilot and afterburner that only appear in the HUD.

Last edited: