Software Orbiter 2016 CTD When Changing Scenarios

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hi, I'm experiencing an issue where I frequently see Orbiter crashing to desktop after selecting a scenario. I'd appreciate one of you knowledgeable people helping to troubleshoot (warning: I'm only slightly computer savvy, which is probably why I'm experiencing this issue. I'm fairly new to Orbiter, and the problem seems to have developed after I installed a few addons (IMFD, BurnTimeCalculator, BaseSync, XR-2, and a NASA skin for the XR-2). I've attached a .log from one of the recent crashes. Please let me know what you see, and what I can do to correct it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 5-8 Orbiter.log
    15 KB · Views: 7

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
From the log, the first thing I would try is removing BurnTimeMFD and retesting to see if the crashes still occur; according to the log, that add-on was built for Orbiter 2006:

Code:
Module BurnTimeMFD.dll ....... [Build ******, API [COLOR="red"]06[/COLOR]0425]

If that still crashes, I recommend a standard troubleshooting approach:
  1. Install a clean copy of Orbiter 2016 and test with the default DeltaGlider.
  2. Install one add-on and retest. Be sure to repeat the test a few times for each since the crashes are intermittent.
  3. Repeat the above step until the crash occurs again.

Then you can try installing another clean copy of Orbiter 2016 and installing all your add-ons except the problem add-on; hopefully, everything will work then. :tiphat:

Wedge313

Reaction score
I suspected BTC was the culprit: I did inadvertently install an older version, but when I realized my error I deleted the older BTC and installed BurnTimeCalcMFD-v.3.1.0-2016. Is it possible I haven't completely removed the older version? I went through all the folders trying to make sure I'd deleted the older files but it appears I've missed something. Does the .log give you the location of the faulty code? Thanks

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
By "BTC", do you mean BurnTimeMFD? You can see in your Orbiter.log the list of add-ons Orbiter is loading, and it shows a BurnTimeMFD.dll that was built for Orbiter 2006 (notice the API date starts with "06", as highlighted above). If you are still seeing a line like that, it means that DLL is still be being loaded, so it was not uninstalled.

Wedge313

Reaction score
I did a search for all .dll files in Orbiter. I only found one .dll associated with Burntime and it seemed to be a more current version (7/7/2018). However I also found four .dll files associated with TransX, which seemed redundant to me. I deleted both the Burntime and TransX files, then reinstalled current versions of both MFDs (BurnTimeCalcMFD-v.3.1.0-2016 and TransX-2018.05.06-VCpp-2016). After changing scenarios numerous times there's been no repeat of the CTD issue. However, looking at the .log there's a warning about an obsolete Aerobrake .dll (API 100830). I installed version AeroBrake0.96.2, which (I believe) is the Orbiter 2016 compatible version? In any event, Orbiter seems to be working fine, maybe put this in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" pile? But if it should be corrected please let me know. This stuff is all sorcery to me. Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• Orbiter.log 5-11-20.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 0