Software Orbiter 2016 for "escape room"?

janos.horvath.me

Reaction score
Hello All,

I fly the stock Orbiter 2016 from time to time and enjoy it but I usually get annoyed by the fact that there are some missing functionalities or features which would make the experience more realistic. For example when doing EVA, you can simply fly through other objects instead of bumping off...

Also, I have an idea back in my mind for some time: having some kind of space themed, multiple day role play or escape room with my friends. Orbiter could make it awesome by allowing to simulate ISS operations, Shuttle flights and dockings, EVAs etc. This would however require a multiplayer platform, so for example the EVA astronaut could be monitored "from the Shuttle windows" by the crew, or helping him with Canadarm, or even multiple guys doing EVAs at the same time.

Before putting too much effort into the hardware I think it makes sense to ask you experts about how feasible is it at all:

- I am aware that there are some multiplayer addons for Orbiter but don't know which one is usable or if any of them is robust enough at all?
- Is there any add-on or setting which would detect collisions so that you can not penetrate into other vehicles?
- Has someone ever attempted to do this kind of role play or at least multiplayer with Orbiter?
- EVA would be awesome with VR goggles. Is it possible with Orbiter?

That's all first popped into my mind. Any comments or ideas are welcome!

Thanks, and have a nice day,
Jani

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
- Is there any add-on or setting which would detect collisions so that you can not penetrate into other vehicles?
Orbiter definitely doesn’t support this natively. Only one addon that I know of. VERY basic and probably not what you are looking for, but maybe a start.
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=f22fe454-4e70-4715-9793-b9cf03c93b5f

I am really not sure about the other questions. As far as multiplayer, you might check out this, but I don’t know if it would work for your purposes. I never really had much luck getting it configured…
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=b7a1674c-5920-4cca-be5f-d976caaa34cf

Before putting too much effort into the hardware I think it makes sense to ask you experts about how feasible is it at all:
An extremely good idea. Software (for orbiter, at least) is free, hardware is not!

Oh and by the way, welcome to Orbiter-Forum! :welcome:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am aware that there are some multiplayer addons for Orbiter but don't know which one is usable or if any of them is robust enough at all?
OMP is the only one that got anywhere, but it got pretty far: https://osdn.net/projects/orbitersoftware/wiki/FrontPage
I'm not sure it's still maintained, but for your purposes it should do fine by the sound of it.

Is there any add-on or setting which would detect collisions so that you can not penetrate into other vehicles?

No, there isn't. The essential problem is that while the basics of collision detection would be manageable, collision detection that respects actual physics is... not so much. Also, since the capability isn't built into the orbiter core, none of its vessels have collision meshes or comparable definitions.

EVA would be awesome with VR goggles. Is it possible with Orbiter?
As far as I know there are no VR clients for orbiter, no.

Has someone ever attempted to do this kind of role play or at least multiplayer with Orbiter?
Not quite this kind of thing, but having everything in one room should make it mangeable overall. The most active multiplayer group was probably the rocket racing league, which went fine for a while until people got bored.

In any case, if you want all the things you are suggesting with custom built hardware, that sounds more like a 10-year project than anything else. A simple simpit in and of itself is already a damn lot of work. In my opinion, too much just for a couple of days of fun with a few buddies...

janos.horvath.me

Reaction score
Orbiter definitely doesn’t support this natively. Only one addon that I know of. VERY basic and probably not what you are looking for, but maybe a start.
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=f22fe454-4e70-4715-9793-b9cf03c93b5f

I am really not sure about the other questions. As far as multiplayer, you might check out this, but I don’t know if it would work for your purposes. I never really had much luck getting it configured…
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=b7a1674c-5920-4cca-be5f-d976caaa34cf

An extremely good idea. Software (for orbiter, at least) is free, hardware is not!

Oh and by the way, welcome to Orbiter-Forum! :welcome:
Thank you Max-Q for the hints, I'll definitely have a look at the suggested add-ons at least for the sake of curiosity! :)

janos.horvath.me

Reaction score
OMP is the only one that got anywhere, but it got pretty far: https://osdn.net/projects/orbitersoftware/wiki/FrontPage
I'm not sure it's still maintained, but for your purposes it should do fine by the sound of it.

No, there isn't. The essential problem is that while the basics of collision detection would be manageable, collision detection that respects actual physics is... not so much. Also, since the capability isn't built into the orbiter core, none of its vessels have collision meshes or comparable definitions.

As far as I know there are no VR clients for orbiter, no.

Not quite this kind of thing, but having everything in one room should make it mangeable overall. The most active multiplayer group was probably the rocket racing league, which went fine for a while until people got bored.

In any case, if you want all the things you are suggesting with custom built hardware, that sounds more like a 10-year project than anything else. A simple simpit in and of itself is already a damn lot of work. In my opinion, too much just for a couple of days of fun with a few buddies...
Thank you Jedidia for your sobering comments too! :D

I tend to imagine ideal scenarios where things are all fun and easy, and buddies share the same excitement, but it is more likely that this won't happen, and the project would cost lots of time wasted.

Anyway, as mentioned I'll try the addons so that I can declare the project "dismissed" for myself.

Thank you for the swift replies and all the bests!

Owenmck

Read the documentation!
Reaction score
As far as I know, @Face discontinued OMP, but they made a new one, OMPU. I'm not sure if the server is still up, but you should be able to download it from here: <O-F STAFF: link deleted>
There's a discord with instructions, let me see if I can find a link

Last edited by a moderator:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As far as I know, @Face discontinued OMP, but they made a new one, OMPU. I'm not sure if the server is still up, but you should be able to download it from here: <O-F STAFF: link deleted>
There's a discord with instructions, let me see if I can find a link
OMP is definitely on hold, although the server is still running. OMPU is in development (although I don't find much time these days), but not public. Please don't distribute beta links.

Last edited by a moderator: