Status
Not open for further replies.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Please try out the second release candidate.

It's available as ZIP and MSI package:

This supersedes the RC.1 package. For package details see the RC.1 description which still applies.

This RC addresses various points raised with RC.1:
The Surface mode HUD always used to have a little marker pointing to the direction of the spaceport you were headed to. I see the .doc still says it's there, in Section 14.3. But I can't bring it up. It neither triggers off a spaceport selected in an MFD, nor using CTRL-R. How do I get the blasted surface marker to work?
This issue should be fixed. Selecting a base target in the Map MFD should now activate the target heading marker in the Surface HUD compass ribbon.

I am getting an error: MSVCR120.dll missing

I think we need a list of requirements for Orbiter 2016.

Like: microsoft redistributable 2013 ???
This issue should be fixed. The zlib.dll library Orbiter uses has now been compiled with the MSVC90 toolchain, the same as the Orbiter core. Please let me know if you find any other MSVC120 dependencies.

2) The alt readout on the DG attitude indicator does not display negative alt (ie <planetRad) correctly e.g. /Delta-Glider/Brighton Beach.scn shows 2.564k alt. at the start. Maybe it should show Radio Alt like the HUD?
This issue should be fixed. The DG attitude indicator now displays altitude above ground at lower altitudes.

Minor point: Orbiter 2016 MSI installs to folder Orbiter2014.
This issue should be fixed now.

There is a CTD giving some trouble. I was investigating a cloud layer related anomaly when I noticed it. D3D9Client is required to produce it, haven't noticed it with the inline engine. Vertical sync seems to have major effect in ability to reproduce it. With the sync enabled it becomes very hard to reproduce.

1. Load "DG Mk4 in Orbit" scenario
2. Choose Camera -> Target -> Sun -> Earth -> Apply -> Close the window -> Zoom a bit closer to the Earth
3. Frequently change between the two highest time accelerations while rotating the Earth with mouse.

Here it takes something like 10s-40s to produce the CTD without vertical sync. With the sync enable it's something like 5-10 minutes.
There are no references to any other software in the call stack than the Orbiter.
This issue has been addressed. I would like to hear from anybody who observed related problem if has been fixed / has changed in behaviour / is unchanged in this RC.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
A small issue I saw on the launchpad: after exiting a scenario all folders and scenarios show up twice:
This issue hasn't been addressed yet.

• On affected installations, does this happen consistently, is there a reliable way to reproduce it?
  • What is the path to your orbiter root directory?

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Will we have the archived/compacted high-res texture files for Earth/Moon/Mars soon or do we still download the high-res as is and run the conversion - I have a terrible download speed at moment and every bit helps. Thanks

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

Eduard

Reaction score
This issue should be fixed. Selecting a base target in the Map MFD should now activate the target heading marker in the Surface HUD compass ribbon.

O yes, thank you. It's indeed working now, the Surface HUD is updated when I change the target base in the Map MFD.
This is very good!

I have discovered a time ago that the calculated "Offplane Dist" and "Pe dist to Base" values in TransX completely depend on this target Base setting of the Surface HUD.
That's why these things where not working anymore for Orbiter Beta.

So I tested this now, changing the Ref in the Map to the celestial body I want (Moon) and set the target base (Brighton Beach):
These values are finally shown now, just like TransX in Orbiter 2010.
Now I can ajust my trajectory correctly towards the surface base when doing mid-course corrections.
This makes TransX fully usable again!

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
This issue hasn't been addressed yet.

• On affected installations, does this happen consistently, is there a reliable way to reproduce it?
  • What is the path to your orbiter root directory?

I haven't been able to identify any pattern other than that it happens upon exiting a scenario "most of the time", but never on first launch of the launcher.

My Orbiter installation path is "C:\Orbiter 2016". The only peculiar thing I can see about this name is that it contains a space.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This one still reproduces like a clockwork on my machine, although it seems other people have been less succesful at reproducing it.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This one still reproduces like a clockwork on my machine, although it seems other people have been less succesful at reproducing it.

The only way that I can get that scenario to crash (CTD) is to let the ISS do a lunar fly-by and let it to collide with the earth at 10000x

EDIT: BTW, do you have orbit stabilization enabled ?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only way that I can get that scenario to crash (CTD) is to let the ISS do a lunar fly-by and let it to collide with the earth at 10000x

Darn... Must take a very specific memory allocation to get that thing to happen. Though I don't quite understand why it would happen with 100% reliability on my machine, then.

BTW, do you have orbit stabilization enabled ?

I don't even know where I would enable that...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Can't reproduce it, either. I even tried stepping back to 100x and let it run some minutes there. Clean install of RC.2, all visual effects activated, all else on default.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
martins - first of all - THANK YOU for a stupendous sim !!!

I have not a clue how all this works but would it be possible to have a patch rather than full downloads for the RC's ?

My internet provider's service is going down, as it's business is getting bigger ! (I'll leave you to guess which it is - suffice to say "British" is not always Best in these days)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have not a clue how all this works but would it be possible to have a patch rather than full downloads for the RC's ?

Without the texture trees, this RC amounts to ca. 85MB if bzipped. Against what do mean to get a patch? The last RC?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
One thing that I don't think is right is the current level of view clipping. Comparing with Orbiter 2010, now the vc view is clipping much further out. Looking from the aft flight deck windows of the default Atlantis, the ODS (and the ISS) are partially clipped. This also affects the RMS end effector camera view, where the target is clipped way before the end effector reaches it. Is there a way to control the clip distance?

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Face:
Against what do mean to get a patch? The last RC?
Yes, the last RC.

Ripley:
If anyone's interested, in this post by Martin there's a longish 7zip command line that he used to generate "official" differential patches:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread....9&postcount=40
I'm interested, but not familiar with 7zip enough to know how to implement commands....

PS: MY RC2 download just crashed at 2.14Gb :blink:

Last edited:

Jordan

Reaction score
Here are only the New Files in RC2

I Extracted both the RC1 and RC2 zip files in separate folders and with the Programm CloneSpy i deleted all the Duplicated files found in RC2.

The difference files are only 13mb. Zip packed about 7.6mb.
I had to split it in two part because i cannot upload files larger then 5.77mb

Copy and overwrite these files in your RC1 folder.

View attachment 14685
View attachment 14686

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.