Orbiter 2016

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
... has been released today. Need I say more?

It's been six years in the making (with the occasional break ;) ), but finally, Tuesday has come around again.

Head over to http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk to get your copy. If you have followed the beta commits and release candidates, the result shouldn't be a complete surprise. There have been a few more bug fixes since RC.4 (a complete list later).

If you already have a recent archive (.tree) version of the high-res textures, there shouldn't be a need to download those again. If you do download the textures, please use the torrent links if possible, to be kind to the mirror servers. Also, consider seeding the downloads (at least for a while) to help share the load (This also goes for the core packages.)

Thanks to Josh, Doug and Russell for hosting the mirrors, in the face of an exponentially growing Orbiter disk footprint ...

And of course thanks to all beta testers, bug/suggestion reporters and Orbiter users for contributing their share to the Orbiter development.

Orbiter 2016 is out - spread the word!

fort

Reaction score
Hello,

A word, beforehand, other remarks possibly later - I have not finished downloading Orbiter 2016 - my browser, Firefox 27.01, may be five years old, give me this homepage:

sorr if one don't really see what i whant to say: all the logos for twitter, facebook, etc are in the center of the page .

Attachments

• ClipBoard-2.jpg
    ClipBoard-2.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
You will have to refresh the page to clear the cache and load the new version of the css style file. If that still doesn't help, then maybe it might be time to update the browser ... ;)

fort

Reaction score
...it might be time to update the browser ... ;)

All your others suggestions don't work...so the hour of the choices is coming :)

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'd like to host a torrent, but know nothing about it. What's the safest and simplest?

Edit:

I'm now a Deluger!
Downloaded the two torrents, but only one is active?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/Notebook_04/Image1_zps06kxg3sb.jpg

Now getting crashes to blue stop screem and Windows needs to restart message Something about page fault in non-page area?

Something I need to do?

Thamks for the advice, but the laptop is crashing within 2mins of starting Deluge, so deleted that. Its a 2year old HP, and its never been any problem before. I'll give Deluge a go om one
of my older boxes.

For linguofreak #11 below/ Its Deluge that is crashing my laptop, not Orbiter16. Deluge is running ok on an older pc now. Nvidia have just released a driver update tonight, so that may be a factor.

Interesting, my old pc tower was doing Deluge work then comes up with this
Error: Problem with resume data: mismatching file timestamp
No idea what it means, and not interested to be honest. If it throws another wobbly, I'll give up on the torrenys thing.

N.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'd like to host a torrent, but know nothing about it. What's the safest and simplest?

N.

I use Deluge for managing my torrents, which is largely driven by the client-server model, so the server can download the torrents while my PC is off. It's also a good, cross-platform and open source client (It's written in Python).

As far as "hosting" goes, torrents aren't really hosted in this sense, they're "shared" between peers directly. All you need is a torrent client (and there are many) and the .torrent file, or magnet link, as out on the mirror pages, and your client will dutifully download the content of that torrent. Once it's finished, it'll automatically begin "seeding" that torrent, pushing content out to other peers, but in truth it's sharing all the pieces it has even while downloading.

Ideally, pull the torrents and leave them up in your client seeding for as long as possible.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I hate to be the first to come up with a potential bug, but... could it be that "Subdirectory locations" in the master configuration file are not respected by the tile manager? I've tried to set my Textures folder to another directory in order to save space, but things keep looking like bowling balls.

My apologies if that was answered somewhere already.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hello,

A word, beforehand, other remarks possibly later - I have not finished downloading Orbiter 2016 - my browser, Firefox 27.01, may be five years old, give me this homepage:.

With "internet Explorer" it does'nt works... but with "Google chrome" it's ok...

May be you have to try with Google chrome" ??

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Now getting crashes to blue stop screem and Windows needs to restart message Something about page fault in non-page area?

Something I need to do?

N.

Update your graphics drivers. As long as Windows and its drivers are functioning properly, Orbiter can't cause the whole system to crash. A BSOD when running a graphically intensive program is a classic sign of a graphics driver bug.

fort

Reaction score
With "internet Explorer" it does'nt works... but with "Google chrome" it's ok...

May be you have to try with Google chrome" ??

I know, it's only a rock 'n' r'ol' browser ( plenty of bug, and full of plugin giving it the speed of a snail ) but i like it, yes i do ♬ :sos:

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
A thousand congratulations martins.
This is great, we must celebrate:

Voyager_Fireworks.gif

:hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I hate to be the first to come up with a potential bug, but... could it be that "Subdirectory locations" in the master configuration file are not respected by the tile manager? I've tried to set my Textures folder to another directory in order to save space, but things keep looking like bowling balls.

Yes, I think that is possible. I am usually redirecting my texture locations with symbolic links (or junctions, as Windows apparently likes to call them), but I'll try to get the TextureDir directive to work again. After all, we need material for 2016p1 ... ;)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...so the hour of the choices is coming :)
Fort, you beat me with that browser.
We may both still have XP, but my Firefox is waaaay younger than yours!
:cheers:

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

After all, we need material for 2016p1 ... ;)
As far as the new webpage, there are a few references to "Orbiter 2015" in the gallery captions, like this:

Orbiter 2015 supports terrain elevation....

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
As far as the new webpage, there are a few references to "Orbiter 2015" in the gallery captions, like this:

Orbiter 2015 supports terrain elevation....

Tempus fugit! You are trying to finalise the 2015 Release, and before you notice, its 2016. :lol: I'll fix those.

fort

Reaction score
Fort, you beat me with that browser.
We may both still have XP, but my Firefox is waaaay younger than yours!
:cheers:

Yes but mine is more experienced :yes:

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Thanks Doc! Been messing with Orbiter since the Pentium II days.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
What a glorious birthday present! Thank you Martin.